Decisions Decisions - Choosing My First Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

You will need to find out the hardness of your water before you decide on stocking. Your supplier's website will tell you :)

Hard water area:

228 ppm CaCO3
pH 7.84
28.70 mg/L Nitrate

if that helps!

Is the diamond head tetra a color variant of neons? That is all that came up when I searched it.

I think any of those are suitable for your tank but not all of them as that would overstock it since the tetras, rasboras, and danios all need schools of 6+ of their own kind.

Celestial danios stay quite small and can be really skittish so you may want to pass on those depending on what other fish you get.

Killifish can be nippy but I think it'd depend on which kind you get. Are there any particular ones you were looking at? There are tons!

For a stocking plan maybe a trio of male guppies, 8 harlequin rasboras, and something for the bottom level of tank perhaps? I'm not the best at stocking plans so someone may have a better idea than me.

I'm not sure on the diamond head - I think you are right and it's just a colour variation. It is listen on the site i've been using as a Diamond Head Neon Tetra (Which would compute) - http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+890+903&pcatid=903

I have no idea about stocking! As it's difficult to find the information regarding grouping/tank levels and feeding incompatibilities! at least for me anyway.

The Killifish were: Gardneri Panchax or Clown Killifish.

You have hard water so guppies and platies would suit your water well.  The tetras not so much as they prefer softer water.
Killifish all have a reputation for being good jumpers, so you'd need a good lid on the tank!
In my experience, harlequin rasbora will not venture into the bottom half of the tank whereas platies and guppies will explore the whole tank. 

Yes Seachem Prime will work on UK water, I use it! ;)  You will probably find that you have chloramines as well as chlorine in the water supply so it is important to use a water conditioner that removes chloramines.  Seachem Prime does this as well as many other brands.

What would be a good choice for the bottom of the tank in this case? I.e something compatible with Harlequins, Guppies/Platies?

I can tell you that I recently had a tank stocked with harlequins and platies.  The harlequins stayed in the upper part of the tank while the platies tended to fill the lower half.

In my other tank I have just platies and they tend to roam the whole tank.

Harlequins are a schooling fish so you would need 6-8 of them.  Once you add guppies and platies there wouldn't be room for anything else.

Cherry barbs might be another option for you to consider.

So if I was to have 6 harlequins and 3 guppies. What space would I have left? About 3/4 gallons?

If you work by inches per gallon (a good rule for a first stocking), that's about 15 inches of fish in 18 gallons.  So yeah, 3 or 4 inches left over.  Enough for another couple of harlequins or guppies.

Do you know of maybe a slightly larger solitary fish that might get on with guppies and harlequins? maybe a 3"(ish) adult fish? or would this not be possible?

I don't know of many solitary fish.  Honey gourami or female platies might fit the bill size-wise but they are sociable and would miss the company of their own kind.  Maybe somebody else could suggest something!

Am not great when comes to stocking numbers, but is there room for any small cories, like pygmys for the bottom of tank?

If not, then some shrimps or snails may be another addition for the bottom of the tank you could think about.

I'd think a single honey gourami would be okay but Daize likely knows more about them than me (havn't kept them myself!) so maybe they would be better off with company.

What about a pair of peacock gudgeons? I don't know if you'll be able to find them but if you can they are quite lovely. HERE is some info on them.

Ninjouzata said:
I'd think a single honey gourami would be okay but Daize likely knows more about them than me (havn't kept them myself!) so maybe they would be better off with company.

Nope I haven't kept gouramis but I've heard they are sociable.  SeriouslyFish suggests they should be kept in small groups http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/trichogaster-chuna/

I was considering getting a single male Dwarf Gourami a while back but they are not usually recommended due to susceptibility to disease.

I was wondering in anyone might recommend kribensis, but I don't know much about kribs personally.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back