Dechlorinating Water

thomas10051988

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Feb 9, 2008
Messages
105
Reaction score
0
Points
0
i cant get to fish shop and have heard you can work chlorine out of water with good circultoin would this be possible
 
i cant get to fish shop and have heard you can work chlorine out of water with good circultoin would this be possible
just to get rid of chlorine, leaving it in a bucket over night will do that. filling the bucket with very fast/high pressure water does a good job too.
 
Should be fine if you leave it overnight until you can get to you LFS. However, I wouldn't make it a habit because although it will remove chlorine I don't think it will remove chloramine or any heavy metals that may be in your water.
 
You will only remove chlorine by letting it sit over night in an open container. Chloramine will be just like it was coming from the tap. Unless you know you only have chlorine, I would wait until you get the dechlorinator to change the water. Why take a chance on killing your fish?
 
You will only remove chlorine by letting it sit over night in an open container. Chloramine will be just like it was coming from the tap. Unless you know you only have chlorine, I would wait until you get the dechlorinator to change the water. Why take a chance on killing your fish?


Chances are low that some chloramine would kill you fish. Chances may even be low that it would kill your bacterial colony. It depends a lot of how resistant the strains of ammonia oxidizing bacteria (AOB) and nitrite oxidizing bacteria (NOB) you have in your tank. This is becoming a serious problem for the water companies, because the AOB that are resistant can actually consume the ammonia part of the chloramine for food, rendering the chloramine pretty ineffective at doing its job -- killing off E coli and all the other things we definitely do not want in our water.

There have been some very good discussions about this in the past:
The one where I first posted the evidence in the scientific journals about the resistant AOB: http://www.fishforums.net/content/forum/16.../Water-Changes/
and some others: http://www.fishforums.net/content/forum/16...lly-Come-From-/
http://www.fishforums.net/content/forum/18...ria-Come-From-/

=======================

However, all that said, unless you are cycling with fish, and/or the ammonia levels have risen lately, you can wait a few days until you get the dechlorinator. I still use it, despite the growing evidence that it may not be all that necessary. I figure, it is pretty cheap, so why take a chance? You fish will be fine if you delay a water change a few days until you get a new bottle of dechlorinator.
 
However, all that said, unless you are cycling with fish, and/or the ammonia levels have risen lately, you can wait a few days until you get the dechlorinator. I still use it, despite the growing evidence that it may not be all that necessary. I figure, it is pretty cheap, so why take a chance? You fish will be fine if you delay a water change a few days until you get a new bottle of dechlorinator.
i'm with you on this, though i don't use it for my main tank. i saw no reason to mention that fact here.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top