Debate

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bettas are expected to rule the Earth!!

New debate: Which tail type will it be? :eek:sama: :saddam: :big_boss: :devil: :ninja:

Should I start a thread? B)

it'll be plakats because they don't have all that heavy finnage weighing them down :lol:

we don't generally recommend keeping bettas with any other anabantoids because it usually ends in tragedy. There've been a lot of cases coming through here where people tried to keep them together and their fish got torn to shreds :X

Awww, what a cute little betta! His coloration is very lovely, esp. those cute lil dots on his head. :wub:

And I'd make a bet that most of the fish owned on here aren't fancy show bettas, though surely since you are such an advocate of bettas, you realize that responsible breeders who select for healthy specimins to better captive lines deserve credit as compared to the mass-breeders who sell a bunch of unhealthy, poorly-bred creatures to god-only-knows-who at pet stores. I for one see plenty of VTs on this board, and many rescues, which is awesome. I seem to have ammased a huge array of tail types as rescues; SDs, HMs, PKs, CTs, DTs, and of course - VTs. Most of the "fancier" ones were owner surrenders or fish from breeders with deformities who would have otherwise been culled, but luckily had caring breeders who excused their flaws and found them a good home instead.

i have had several bettas in small fish bowls about the size of my fist. i tried moving one or two into bigger, nicer tanks but they freaked out! I think it's all about what the betta prefers.

I guess I should say dwarf goramis.
Nopers, not those either. It can work sometimes, but more often than not it ends up in a mauled/dead fish. Even honey gouramis are risky for the betta, and smaller species like sparkling and licorice gouramis are in danger FROM the betta. Like starrynightxxi said, it's just a bad idea to mix bettas with other anabantids in general, they're too closely related and don't take kindly to kin.

i have had several bettas in small fish bowls about the size of my fist. i tried moving one or two into bigger, nicer tanks but they freaked out! I think it's all about what the betta prefers.

this is a definite no-no. a 1g is the absolute minimum healthy tank size--anything smaller concentrates too much ammonia. even a 1g is too small if you don't clean it out on a daily basis.

ammonia build-up is not only detrimental to your betta's health, but also causes serious fin-damage and reduces vitality. as we all know, nothing is more beautiful than a healthy, happy betta!

this is a definite no-no. a 1g is the absolute minimum healthy tank size--anything smaller concentrates too much ammonia. even a 1g is too small if you don't clean it out on a daily basis.

ammonia build-up is not only detrimental to your betta's health, but also causes serious fin-damage and reduces vitality. as we all know, nothing is more beautiful than a healthy, happy betta!
I've kept bettas in half gallon bowls when I started out. As long as water changes are kept up they will be fine. They might prefer more space but every fish is different you never know with bettas.. Of course nothing less than a half a gallon for an adult. I'm sure someones gonna mention something but I will add none of the bettas had health issues and I don't keep adults in that small anymore. Just my juvies.

I'm pretty sure you guys are not alone. Many excellent and respected hobbiest keep Betta in small jars for at least short periods of time.

The size of yor fist? Lets hope you have big fists :crazy: . Maybe you should have let the bettas settle in for longer? -_-
IMO the size of your fist is way too small. Alot of bettas will like smaller tanks, but i think thats just too far. If thats all the betta has lived in in its life and freaks out in anything bigger, then those bettas probably have problems from living in there too long. I find it extremly hard to belive that betta kept in there for a long time is actually happy and healthy.
If you ever took a fish from a larger tank and put it something like that, then methinks it just plain wrong :/ .
But if you say he is happy and healthy, then its your responsibility and people dont have any reason not to believe you(well ok, yes they do -_- , but it doesnt matter) :) . Just as long as you do what you honestly believe is right for your fish and take into account the facts :good:.

hmmmm. I have to be doing something right with my one gallon, as my betta will bubble nest in there, but refuses to bubble nest in a 10 gallon. My little brother's refuses to bubble nest in a 10 gallon also. Probably the filter and current. But mine seems to do fine in the one g, as the house is tropical temp anyways -_-

while i'm not going to attack those who do use .5g as permanent housing, i firmly disagree with it and will not advocate it to newbies owning less than 20 bettas. unless you have a definite commitment to daily maintenance, it is simply too easy to let things slide and when you do--its the fish that suffer.

i will however actively disagree with those who use "fist-sized" bowls to house bettas permamently. there is absolutely no way that an adult betta should be housed in a bowl where his fins can encompass the circumference when he flares. (not that such a standard makes this any more acceptable for plakats.)

I think I will just sit back and watch this one. 8)

My one sorrow is that we seem to have chased cats off.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back