Debate

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

catsmakemebark

Reaction score
Argue away, but the fact is a betta needs more that 5 gallon's. I always recommend 10 as min. but it looks as if 5 will be the only thing I can convince people on but its much better than a 2.5.

You would not lock your child in a bathroom so why do it to your betta. My betta is extreamly happy in a 30 gallon so dont say your betta is sad in a 10 gallon.

When you buy an animal you take on a big resposiblity to recreate its natural habitat as closly as possible. Rice puddles were not 2.5 gallons.

Please don't make these boards. They've been posted before, they've been locked. Just search them up. Everyone has different opinions. Some people will agree with you, some won't care and so on.

EDIT: By locked I mean arguments break out.

I think bettas shouldn't be kept with any other fish, but I'm sure others disagree. There are no benefits at all and many negative points, both for the betta and the other fish.

And also, comparing 'domestic' bettas to their wild equivalent is like comparing german shepards to chiuauas. Completely different care, same species.

Apparently I am not aloud to debate on other peoples forums so I am going to debate hear. Right now I am not liking this site. People are very rude and do not hear out what other people have to say.

People keep different types of fish in one tank. A single betta is a peaceful fish and mine has not had any problems with the other fish. Betta's can get depressed and other fish in the tank can help liven things up. I can not speak for my betta but he is the boss of the tank and looks as if he enjoys it.

You can not demesticate a betta like a dog. Some animals will never become demesticated like a dog. A betta still has its primal instints.

Apparently I am not aloud to debate on other peoples forums so I am going to debate hear. Right now I am not liking this site. People are very rude and do not hear out what other people have to say.

I find you very rude, you wade into other people's threads and start arguments based on your opinion, which you are entitled to, but it is still only your opinion. Other forums I frequent would ban you for such behaviour... maybe thats how you ended up here?

about the ten gallon thing

my betta is in a 5 gallon, and is probably a year old (pet shop rescue) and loves...

sitting in a plant. All day, every day. So it depends on the betta. If you find an active one, fine, but I won't reduce the tank size of my current betta because he is used to the space (I think)

I find you very rude, you wade into other people's threads and start arguments based on your opinion, which you are entitled to, but it is still only your opinion. Other forums I frequent would ban you for such behaviour... maybe thats how you ended up here?

I am sorry, but I did not know I was not aloud to debate on threads. I am use to doing it on other forums, and alot more people learn that way.

This is not ONLY my opinion. MANY people agree with me.

The Points you have raised are from your own experiences with Fighters.
and the fighters you have had have liked a larger volume of water and a variety of "Dither Fish".

This is not tha case for all fighters. Many people on here have found that there fighters do not tolerate other fish and large volums of Water.

Its about the fishes' own temperament. Some like Large Volumes some Like Small Volumes.

Add to this the welfare of a Fish with Extremely Weighty Finnage IE a Halfmoon/S Delta/VT and CT. The smaller the volum it lives in the less enrgy it will burn in patrolling its environment.

So you cannot say your Volume is the Golden Rule for Fighters.

Learn from experience and you will see for yourself and Research Research Research. AS I myself have learnt from the Many Knowledgable People On this Board.

You also seem to forget that volume doesn't equal space. My 1.5g tanks (mainly used for juvies) are 12" long, but only about 5" high and wide, maximising the length to volume ratio.

You all are forgetting one big detail. The build up of nitrate and ammonia. It is VERY hard to keep thoughs conditions stable. I can't imagen why a betta would not want more room. Its not only bigger but its safer.

Actually, I've tested my betta tanks and they can go over a week without showing ammonia or nitrite. I keep willow moss and other plants in every tank, which along with the medium amounts of algae there are in each tank uses most of it.

I also can't imagine why bettas would want tankmates.

Betta's need fresh water to keep out the hormones that will stunt them.

The risk of a plant is if it dies it will cause a huge amount of acidity.

Betta's dont need tank mates. That is just my preference and beside the point.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back