Death Of A Nano Cube

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

steelhealr

Hug a mod Nano Reef Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Hi all. I have often counseled members that 'all inclusive' tank systems are not the best. I guess, for starter-outers, they are OK. Electronics included in a packed-in hood are frequently subject to moisture, salt, corrosion and equipment failure. Replacing parts ofttimes is challenging, especially for those who aren't technically adroit. In summary: sometimes, basics are the best. Picos, peekos, shmeekos, shot glass tanks....BioOrbs, hanging painting tanks, coffee table tanks....balderdash (not that those that have them....oh...nevermind).

Case in point: the JBJ nano cube (well, at least my version). After seven years, one crack, two fan replacements, three ballast replacements, numberous tube replacements, DIY upgrades, etc, it's time for a change. Although my tank was one of the most beautiful the eye could imagine at one point in time, maintenance was a PITA. I would not go back to all inclusive. The classic love-hate relationship. Well, maybe not. But....DOH!!!!

So, in honor of my SEVEN YEAR OLD clownfish and my FOUR YEAR OLD hermit crab, it is time for a re-design.
Seven years old. Bless yer heart Nemo. Now:

SCALPEL!!

(smack)

CLAMP!!!

(smack)

SPONGE!!!

SH

I've always enjoyed the all in ones I've had ( never kept them for more than a couple of years to be fair )

Look forward to the new setup pics :good:

Yeah keen to see your next setup.:nod:

Your nano cube journal is one of the best

WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whatcha gonna do?? I'll be watching with a great deal of interest. The nanocube was one of the reasons why I started saltwater in the first place. Been following that journal since forever.

L

Whatcha gonna do?? I'll be watching with a great deal of interest. The nanocube was one of the reasons why I started saltwater in the first place. Been following that journal since forever.

L

Thinking 20 gallon long. SH

L

Thinking 20 gallon long. SH

Good size. Rimless would be pretty awesome. They have tanks like that in that size. Biocube HQI 29g is also a great tank. There are others.

You doing a reef or FOWLR?

L

Aww, I loved your tank. Can't wait to see the new one though. Good luck :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back