dead koi

should be OK, he's a descent bloke and we regulars there.

any suggestion on type of koi to try and get? like ones that you can hand feed faster. I have instuctions on how to hand feed Koi and it suggests Chogoi and ichiba??

shold i ask for a particular type or get the one with the best colours in my eyes!!

ryan said:
Oh by the way I found a great Koi/coldwater fish shop in Soham the other day they had a small Albino Sterlet going for 30 pounds I may pick one up next time. :) They also had hand picked Koi by a Koi show winner Mark Gilbert (owner) himself from Japan, abit expensive but well worth it.
Hi Ryan, sorry to bother you but you couldn't give me the name and location of this place. My father-in-law has a very large pond, and has been keeping koi for a good number of years, we usually spend weekends going to fish places (and having a day out) with his grandchildren , i'd like to visit this place , so thanks .. :)

there's a few good ones in Colchester area, we made a day out of going round about 4/5 garden centers, of course we were with mum so it's plants first :rolleyes:

Mo99 said:
ryan said:
Oh by the way I found a great Koi/coldwater fish shop in Soham the other day they had a small Albino Sterlet going for 30 pounds I may pick one up next time. :) They also had hand picked Koi by a Koi show winner Mark Gilbert (owner) himself from Japan, abit expensive but well worth it.
Hi Ryan, sorry to bother you but you couldn't give me the name and location of this place. My father-in-law has a very large pond, and has been keeping koi for a good number of years, we usually spend weekends going to fish places (and having a day out) with his grandchildren , i'd like to visit this place , so thanks .. :)
Sure Mo, Amwell Aquatics and it has a branch in Soham and Essex with a website the Soham one has just opened and is the only one I have visited but it is very good as the Koi are hand picked so I picked up a few nice fish.

http://www.amwellaquatics.co.uk/

Paul - Chagoi are probably the best I have a two big Chagois that feed from my hand as well as all of my other large Koi, it just takes time and don't do anything to scare them.

I'll ask the guy when i go then, hopefully getting there tomorrow, half day at colleg and mums not at work.

I bought a auction for 99p which explained how to hand feed koi. It explains in detail how to do it but basically it says ....( iwas going to type a quick one but i couldn't be bothered!!!)

All Chagoi and Ochiba are easy to hand tame after settling in using the same technique as described here, it works. And customers following the few steps below have noticed most of their other koi will follow the example set by these koi and come for food as well.

The combination of good quality warm water, and the ability for these type of koi to overcome their fear of people to get food will astound you if you have never seen this before.

Step one. For the fastest way to do this you will need to buy one of these type of koi or preferably two, as two will settle in quicker and it will work faster. Any size from about 5" upwards will work. They don't need to be show quality and you can get some nice ones at reasonable prices.

While they are in your quarantine system (we always advise quarantining all koi no matter where they come from, and that includes us) feed very sparingly for the first few days. Whatever you do don't be tempted to give them too much, you are trying to settle them in but get them to want more food than you are giving them at the moment.

Step two. If the water temperature is below 60F slowly raise it to this level, if you don't have a heater then you can try the next steps at a cooler temperature but it won't work as well as in warm water and you may need to wait until the weather warms up. If it is naturally warmer than this that's fine, but at the time of writing this it's very cold. Keep feeding sparingly as long as the temperature is above 50f.

Step three. You will find as the water is getting warmer the koi are getting more active, they may already be taking food from your fingers, if they are you have got there, if they are starting to come close but not actually taking food from your fingers, this is where you stop feeding for two days apart from the odd pellet. During these two days go to the tank or pond as many times as you can each day putting one piece of food between your fingers. Slowly put your hand in the water and wait. Don't make any sudden movements and ask other people to keep back. If the koi are hungry during these two days they will come up to your fingers, if one takes a piece try again with another pellet to see if it will do it again. If they do not take one remove the pellet from the pond or tank and don't feed. Make them come for it, keep trying, these type of koi will eventually overcome their fear of you and take the food. If they have not come near in the two days, then feed as normal for the next two days, then try the same again for the next two days. It will work.

Step four. You should now have the Chagoi and Ochiba types eating out of your hand, this will get better as they suck your fingers and are waiting for you when you come with the food. Most people are at this stage within a few days, some on the first day. If these koi have been in quarantine and you have got them to this stage you will be itching to mix them with your other koi, don't be tempted until the quarantine period is over. When you are ready, introduce the Chagoi and Ochiba types to your pond with the other koi. When they have settled in put some food in your hand and hold a couple of pieces in the pond, let the hand tame Chagoi or Ochiba take this from you, they will be the first ones up. The other koi will see what is happening and swim near. Do not feed the others yet unless they come to hand. Make them wait for a while, when the hand tame ones have had a few pellets let a few pellets go around the heads of the hand tame ones (not too many) the other koi will come nearer to get these or get them as they float around.

Step five. Day by day with patience you will see a big difference, more of your koi will start to come closer you will be amazed with the hand tame Chagoi and Ochiba, as they grow they become more graceful and develop an individual personality. This attitude and calmness rubs off on the other koi and you will find that one by one they will come closer. Some will snatch food from you and others will calmly swim past and take pellets from you. And some like the big girl in the photo's you saw on e bay will sit back in the water with their mouth open waiting for you to pour food in. Follow these simple steps and you will get there. Eventually 80 to 90% of your koi will take food from your fingers

One thing to remember is once a few are hand feeding don't starve the others just because they take longer to come. When you finish playing with the ones that come to hand leave some food in for the others. They will come up for it in their own time.

Nice little guide if you follow that it should work although I wouldn't say it really depends on the Koi breeds in my experience the size of the Koi is important.

no replacement Koi :( he's getting a new batch of fish tomorrow and he he has any of those 'friendly' kois in he's going to hold us a few back.

found out that he loves albino sturgeons aswell but won't spend over £20 on a fish!!

Hope you get some nice Koi and hopefully a nice Chagoi to. When you get the big pond you can be on the look out for an Albino Sterlet!

Don't really want a Chagoi as there boring colours!! I haven't seen pictures of the other ones mentioned but they can't be any worse!!

Hopefully he'll only have them in a slightly bigger size then will be faster to the bigger pond.

My mum thinks stergeon/sterlet are mean looking. He told me why they don't sell them under 10" on that wed site. Stupid reallu but makes sence. He said it's because they can't actually swim backwards so at that size if they get stuck in blanketweed they'll just stangle them self as they don't have the power to get out of it. Not that we have any blanket weed though :D

Most reactions

trending

Back