dead koi

Paul_MTS

MAD
Reaction score
fed the fishies this morning and at the end of the waterfall the Koi that Ryan suggested didn't look too great has died, it doesn't show any damage apart from a bit of blood on the tail but i'ved assumed that was from the trip down the water fall.

whats happened and can i blame the fish shop? :-(

It looked bad when you got it paul. Sorry to hear that but I would say it has something to do with the lfs, test your water and if it is fine it is likely to be a disease it had when you brought it, maybe fungus, fin rot or internal parasites. Where were the Koi from are any of the other Koi looking bad or showing syptoms? Did it have any small red spots?

the LFS is a trusted place so maybe it was the runt of a litter??? :/

I didn't notice any red spots or any sign of disease just looks like a perfectly healthy fish with a bad looking tail.

how do i go about testing the pond? I have acid and akali test paper stuff that school science labs use :whistle:

we didn't have time to tend to the fish yesterday though so i might of missed something when it was in trouble.

I feel that a replacement fish would be descent of the shop considering from day 1 you pointed out it looked under the weather!!

It looked thin and unwell when I first saw it, most likely to be internal parasites. Its not a runt of the litter any runts would have died off at fry stage. Buy a test kit from the lfs which tests Ammonia and Nitrate and test the water.

Yes certainly. When picking out new Koi watch them for 5-10mins to check them are lively and investigating things they shouldn't be thin and all parts of their bodies should be proportionate e.g no big head, thin body etc. Good luck with the replacement.

Oh by the way I found a great Koi/coldwater fish shop in Soham the other day they had a small Albino Sterlet going for 30 pounds I may pick one up next time. :) They also had hand picked Koi by a Koi show winner Mark Gilbert (owner) himself from Japan, abit expensive but well worth it.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm albino stergeon, thats my life target now to get an albino stergeon. that well cheap :( the only one round here was 135 and fully grown i want something i can watch grow:D

paul_v_biker said:
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm albino stergeon, thats my life target now to get an albino stergeon. that well cheap :( the only one round here was 135 and fully grown i want something i can watch grow:D
I think there is a store of the same shop in Essex. Amwell aquatics. They will order fish from the other branch. :thumbs:

ritey had another look this morning and there's deffinately no red spots or fungus.

although the top of the head has now gone a darkish manky colour and there was some blood and 'goo' coming out the gills.

paul_v_biker said:
ritey had another look this morning and there's deffinately no red spots or fungus.

although the top of the head has now gone a darkish manky colour and there was some blood and 'goo' coming out the gills.
Yes if the water test come out fine then the disease was contracted at the shop or before it so you should get a replacment.

hmmmm has to be one!!

I reakon it was a bad batch as another one there had a a sore on it's skin....and it was one of the colors I fancied!!

Might beable to skip the water testing as we haven't had deasease for over a year now, your balance has been great. Oh there was that one tench but that was from an injury which then got infected.

If the guy asks us to do one to make sure we will but other wise there's not too much point buying something else!!

Might try and get money back to go to there other store which had these koi which where a really metalic goldy bronze colour, they were fantastic

I should think they will only give you store credit. If there were other fish looking unwell with this guy then you should really have left them. But I know it is tempting, as there has been no problem before you water is probably fine.

Yeah store credit then as they have 3 stores locally. one is few miles down the road one is a bit further out whihc has the funky coloured ones then one even further away which I haven't been to for a while but is the main one.

well there injuries from being jabbed with a net and then there's disease which you can't even see unless you have a trained eye!!

:/ Sorry you lost this one. But it sure sounds like the koi we lost, too. A bit of blood from the tail. And the local koi clubs members told me that it probably was internal parasites, waiting like a time bomb, so there was nothing I really could have done. Very sad though, as Ran was extremely pretty and the next tamest to Cho-Cho, our Ogon. Hope you have better luck with your new fish! ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back