Reaction score
Hi i have a 60 litre tank with the following fish

- 9 giant danios
- 2 shark catfish
- 2 suckermouthed catfish
- 2 shrimps
- 1 small crab
- 1 albino toad (RIP)

the tank has been up and running for 3 months now and all fish are doing well. Until last night when i found my albino toad floating around looking very dead. body was almost purple and bloated. he's only obout 2 months old and only about 1 inch long. i have taken a water sample to my local shop and all tested fine, good in fact. does anyone know what may have caused this, i want to replace him but dont want this to happen again..

Thanks Jimbooo :(

I had one of those toads jim ,I had it about 6 monthsand that just died,its put me of buying another one. -_-

Despite their being sold as community fish, they don't much like company except with others of their kind.

They're not toads at all, despite their mis-labelling. They're albino african clawed frogs, and had yours survived it would've become 5 inches long and eaten your fish.

If you replace it, keep it by itself with with another of its kind. Mine lives alone and he's 9 months old and 3" long :)

Hi jimbooo :)

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Samage is right. :nod: You had an African Clawed Frog, aka ACF. They are great pets, and live their lives completely underwater, but unless they are kept with fish much larger than themselves, they will devour them. My friend saw one eat her full grown albino cory cat.

Here's a link that has a lot of information about them:

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site...pus_laevis.html

I have 5 of them and find them to be excellent pets, but they are best kept by themselves. They have very long lifespans, often living for 15 years or more. One of our members has one that has turned 20 years of age.

I will move your thread to the Invertebrates and Amphibians forum, where more frog keepers are likely to see it. At the top of the index page is a pinned topic with more information about these frog and the dwarf relatives. I think you will find it interesting. :D

They're albino african clawed frogs, and had yours survived it would've become 5 inches long and eaten your fish.

sounds familiar .. someone i know had 1 and it started making snacks of her emperior tetras (i think thats what kind they were) .. it was a good size frog

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back