Dave's First Marine Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Looking good

have your yellow polyps receded any since youve had them? Im sure mine are reducing in number?

the wrasse is lovely tempted myself with one but ive read a fair bit about them being bullies so I'll see how you get on first :good:

The yellow polyps are doing great for me,I try target feed them with brineshrimp and keep them in a good flow.

The wrasse seems fine so far,he has barely even acknowledged the clowns he's too busy darting in and around the rocks!! He is still quite small though not much bigger than the clowns so I will keep an eye on him.I think once there is no shortage of food he should be fine aggression wise :good:

Dave

How do your clowns and the wrasse get along? Any signs of aggression at all?

I will have a wrasse and clowns in my tank eventually.

-Tyler

They don't really interact with each other at all so far,the wrasse is a great looking fish and he never stays still!!!

Dave

I have picked up another 2 corals,a palm tree polyp and some green star polyps.All corals seem to be very happy so far.At first I had the palm tree up high and 2 mornings in a row I found it on the sand bed so that is where it now resides. :rolleyes:
I am having a lot of fun moving things around and I have to say it is a thousand times more interesting than FW!!
My sixline is a great character to watch and has barely acknowledged the clowns even at dinner time!!So a few pics!!!

Dave

IMG_1143.jpg

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1145.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg

greenstarpolyps.jpg

I don't think you have gsp. I'll check later when I'm on my laptop.

Glad the 6 line is working for you so far.

L

Looking great! The leather looks much better than that first pic lol. Great colors!

-Tyler

I don't think you have gsp. I'll check later when I'm on my laptop.

Glad the 6 line is working for you so far.

L

What do you think it is then L ? I have searched through google images and there is some identical to mine that are being called gsp and also some that look different.I would value your opinion if you get the chance.

Dave

Hey dave
what lighting do you use?

I am in the process of up grading my basics i have a juwel rio 400.

Ok, needed to see it on my laptop. You do have gsp. It just looked different from my iPhone. :good:

Hey dave
what lighting do you use?

I am in the process of up grading my basics i have a juwel rio 400.

Hi Brady at the minute I am still using standard T5's and 2 strips of led's I got off ebay.I will need a serious upgrade down the line for hard coral :good:

Dave

Ok, needed to see it on my laptop. You do have gsp. It just looked different from my iPhone. :good:

Good stuff L appreciate the confirmation :good:

Dave

Well I have got a couple of new additions in my tank,I had asked my lfs to get me a Yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp.They were due in last Tuesday so I dropped in on Wednesday and he told me his supplier didn't have a YWG/shrimp paired but he did have a yasha goby/shrimp pair.I had not come across this goby before and he's a little beauty.My main concern was the shrimp was absolutely tiny and is a potential meal for the sixline!!.So it was a lights out introduction to the tank.The shrimp ran straight under a rock and hasn't been seen since and untill this evening there has only been two after dark sightings of the goby.At feeding time tonight the yasha came out of his cave(at least now I know where his cave is!!)He's still very skittish but at least he's getting there.As for the shrimp I'll just have to wait and see.I also picked up what lFs called a hairy mushroom but maybe someone here would have a different name for it.So finally a few pics.........

Dave

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

IMG_1171.jpg

IMG_1170.jpg

IMG_1172.jpg

IMG_1173.jpg

A very nice yasha. If the two have found each other, the yasha will protect the shrimp.

It's a nice liking mushroom too. I'll have to be on my laptop to get a better look at it.

L

It's certainly a rhodactis of some sort. :good:

Most LFS are the same and will call it a 'hairy mushroom'

haven't updated in some time now,so i'll fill you in.Shortly after the goby and shrimp I came across a blue jaw trigger fish in a lfs that i really liked.I read up on them and they are reef safe and peaceful so I went for it.A great looking fish and a good character or so I thought!!after about 2 weeks I found one of the clowns half eaten at the bottom of the tank.A week later I seen the trigger with the other one in his mouth chewing away!! Now I was wondering did the fish die from something else and the trigger was just eating them afterwards,and this theory was backed up by LFS as it is totally out of character fot the trigger.So I replaced the clowns with two black clowns(real beauties) and kept a close eye on the trigger,not close enough!!
About 2-3 weeks later I found one of the clowns with a chunk bitten out of him.Now I was fairly convinced this was a psycho trigger but Lfs wasn't convinced.I should also mention all params are good and stable throughout and corals are thriving.A few hermits went missing also.So on a trip to LFS I picked up a foxface rabbitfish and a small orange spine unicornfish (I know potential size and would rehome when necessary)My thinking was these are bigger fish who would bee able to create some presence in the tank,my mistake within 3 days the trigger had killed the orange spine.I saw him going at him this time so the tang went into the sump to recover but unfortunately didn't and he was a beauty.I got a trap off LFS and eventually got trigger out and sent him back to LFS.I had somewhat lost heart after this and the cyano outbreak I was having,but was still keeping up maintenace.Then my girlfriend bought me a vampire tang she seen me admiring in LFS.Now its only a juvenile so I will keep him for a while depending on his temperament which is fine so far (5 weeks).So the cyano is all but disappeared so after much thought I decided to chance a coral banded butterflyfish I have been watching at LFS.He has been feeding mysis in shop and also straight away in my tank.I know these can be difficult to keep but I like a challenge.I also purchased a top up unit and a new light unit.the light is a betta unit with twin t5's and blue led's.this is on tank with original jewel t5's.Oh and talking to LFS yesterday he said the trigger is a complete psycho it has savaged medium sized angels and had to be segregated nothing like the other 2 he has.And now for some pics. Dave....

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1187.jpg

IMG_1197.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg

IMG_1212.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

IMG_1214.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

IMG_1302.jpg