Danios mystery illness.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mcfste

Reaction score
Can anybody help me with my fish?
I set up a new tank around 4 months ago, cycled it and waited till the water was perfect, added plants and 7 spotted danios. I had been cycling the tank (120 litres) for about a month. Water parameters showed no ammonia or nitrates, ph 7.5-8 temp 25C. I used a water conditioner and do regular water changes.
For a month they were very happy and I was just about to add a bunch more when they became disinterested in food and listless. I tried doing extra water changes and so on, playing with the temperature, nothing seems to make any difference. Three days ago one was lying in a v shape on the gravel and dies shortly afterwards. No signs of parasites, flukes, spots, fungal infections or in fact anything whatsoever. There are no worms in the tank/gravel. In fact there is no sign of anything whatsoever, apart from fish getting skinnier as they barely eat. As I am typing this a second fish is lying in a v living its final few moments.
I have no idea what is wrong, I don't think it's the water, it doesn't look like tb. It doesn't look like anything!
Any suggestions welcome. Thank you.

Update, the dying one died and I dissected it to look for abnormalities, their were absolutely none that I could see.

What PPM of ammonia did you cycle with? Have you been testing the water since you added the fish?

I test it pretty much every day. 0 ammonia. It really isn't the water, unless there is something coming from the taps. I use a water conditioner though.
There are plenty of plants in there, places to hide, ornaments. I really don't think it's te envinroment, it's some kind of lethargy, then death disease.

Fluttermoth was asking how much ammonia you used to cycle the tank with. If you didn't add any and just let the tank run, you didn't cycle it. As it is now 4 months since you set the tank up, even if you didn't cycle the tank before getting fish it should be cycled now.

Has there ever been any ammonia or nitrite in the water at any time since you put the fish in, particularly during the fist few weeks?

Ah yes of course, quite dumb of me! I cycled it empty using fish food, not actual ammonia which is almost impossible to buy here in Sweden. To be honest I did it blindly at first as I had no kit and only tested it before putting fish in there. Is there a chance it's utterly uncycled and that is in some way harming the system?
I still think it's some disease, it's horrible but I'm resigned to waiting for them to die and then completely sterilising and starting again.

One of the sicker fish was having a swim and I noticed it was a little bent. Classic tb???

Attachments

• IMG_1641.JPG
    IMG_1641.JPG
    976.6 KB · Views: 141

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back