Damn!... I Did It Again....

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
8,209
Reaction score
5
Points
38
Location
South Africa
One would think that after almost 40 years of fish keeping, the basics would be normal routine...... well, I spent all afternoon changing about 80% water in about 18 of my tanks, and guess what I did....??..

1. I forgot to switch off the heater in one of the tanks, and

2. While I was emptying one tank, I forgot that I was busy filling another, so the overflow spilled onto the electricals & total power out......

Had to unplug everything & oven dry the extentions and plugs..... Now only back in business.... Floor still wet, but no problem, it's in the garage.

DON'T DO THIS AT HOME!!!
 
Sorry to hear you had such a hectic time. Heater I have done but thankfully I have never over filled .......................yet lol. Glad you are back operational again though.
 
I have never over filled

Apparently you haven't been fishkeeping very long. lol I have overfilled more times than I can count. When I worked at a fish store, I flooded the entire fish room on more than one occasion.
 
I must add, that in my almost 40 years this is approximately the 15th time, but tonights' tank had a number of 3 day old baby swords in it, so I dunno how many of 'em also overflowed....
 
i can't begin to comprehend taking care of 18 tanks.glad to hear your operational and i hope you didn't lose too many baby swords.
 
Reminds me,... We had floods once when I still stayed in Rustenburg, and I had 3 x 500mm deep (2.5m diameter) ponds outside & the water level rised to above these..... for days afterwards, the wife & I were walking around with nets catching fish in the whole of the back yard which was about 30m x 15m.... (also guppies, Mollies & platies) & not easy to see on the lawn between the grass..
 
i forget to switch the heater off every week, it hasnt done any harm for the past 10months! And it is definatley still owring because the water is warm ;)
 
i forget to switch the heater off every week, it hasnt done any harm for the past 10months! And it is definatley still owring because the water is warm ;)

No... Mine cracked, as it was exposed and remained on.... pitch black & melted... Strange though, it did not trip the power... I just unplugged & trew away.
 
i recently overfilled, burnt my filter motor up, and dumped a number of gallons of water on my hardwood floors, well more then 20 gallons. Now the tank is down, the floors are drying up and about to sand the floors and refinish.
 
i recently overfilled, burnt my filter motor up, and dumped a number of gallons of water on my hardwood floors, well more then 20 gallons. Now the tank is down, the floors are drying up and about to sand the floors and refinish.

Ouch!! That is another thing which can also happen... forgetting to switch of the submersibles, and then they run dry & also burn out, or when you switch of power and your airpump tubing reverse flows onto the floor (if you have no non return valves installed....
 
fish.com1 - you'll get there.
Probably faster than you think.

Virtually everybody else but especially Ludwig Venter - OMG!
It must be admitted that fish-keeping is never boring...
It's dreadful, though, when 'the fish you should have seen that got away' are your treasured fry, rather than a fishing story.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top