D-D Pressurized Co2 Kit

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yes,

I have one and it is great - typical deltec quality. The downside is that they only take a disposable bottle - which depending upon your tank size can be used up quite quickly.

You can buy a converter that allows you to use a re-fillable bottle but these are like rocking horse sh*t!

Thanks ainsy. Do you know where you can get the converter kit from?

I'm very impressed with a chap called Richard at AquaEssentails where I'm buying it from but he says I should use Aqua Carbon, Aqua Nourish and Aqua Nourish+(plus) if I'm using a co2 system. He says I should put these in every day and do a 40/50% water change every week This is going to work out very expensive over time. Do you do this?

I use the EI method - it works out much, much cheaper

Try This You can buy a 'starter kit' of dry chemicals and bottles from Here

I do use Aquaessentials for the Aquacarbon though - I haven't seen it cheaper anywhere else.

As for the converter - try emailing deltec spares/support - that is where I got mine from but I know they have only got a few left and don't have plans to make any more although I think you may be able to source a compatible one (Dont quote me but the metric size is, I think, 10mm x 1(the 1 denotes the thread pitch) and the imperial - the side that screws on to the re-fillable is 1/8 BSP (British standard pipe)

If the D&D one accepts any disposable bottles then it's fine. If it only accepts D&D bottles then it will eventually be a rip off. The adaptor is a good idea. Can't remember whether it is the D&D or Dennerle where they intentionally put a proprietry thread on the regulator and thus matching on the bottle to force people to buy their bottles.

Disposable welding bottles are much cheaper though and CO2 is CO2 whether it has aquarium written on it or not. These are available easily from Welder's warehouse (600g bottles) or from Halfords at double the price. Still cheaper than the D&D ones.

Richard is superb however if you are using CO2 you don't need 'aquacarbon'. That is a liquid substitute for CO2 like Easycarbo and Flourish Excel are.

Aquacarbon can be used in conjunction with co2 if you find that adding any more would lead to dangerously low ph levels.

The addition of co2 to the aquarium can lead to a drop in ph - which can be dangerous to some stock. It is possible to lower the ph to dangerous levels - so I would recommend you test for this. If you find that your ph is getting very low, but your drop checker (if you have one) has turned yellow then you can add the aquacarbon to keep carbon levels high without further lowering ph.

Aquacarbon can also be used in co2 aquariums that have an algae or diatom problem (although many would argue that it is better to find the cause and fix that rather than treat the algae)

Thanks, that's really clear.

I spoke to Lee @ D-D who was very helpful. they are no longer supplying the connector as you said but he thinks the JBL one will work.

That it sales speak. The Ph change due to CO2 is not going to hurt any fish. It is a 'false' drop if you like. When people talk about a Ph crash Ph is not the problem. It is the KH that can go hand in hand with Ph.

If the KH crashes it will most likely drop the Ph level as well and that will cause problems. However whilst CO2 will drop the Ph it will not affect the KH.

The reason it seems to have been called a 'ph crash' is because measuring Ph with hobby test kits is very accurate in comparison to any other parameters. Therefore most can assume if the Ph has dropped that the KH has caused it to and therefore you have a problem. In a simlar way we use drop checkers to measure CO2 levels. They are in fact Ph indicators using a known KH point which is isolated from the water. In the same way it is much easier to measure the Ph change and relate that to the CO2 than to measure CO2 itself. accurate CO2 measurement costs ££££

There are many people even with 0KH using CO2 heavily with zero problems.

So the statement given r.e. using it in conjunction with CO2 to avoid this problem are purely marketing spiel.

No problem using liquid carbon with CO2 if wanting to have a 'backup' or to help against algae with unstable CO2 setup however the statement given is pure scaremongering.

I stand corrected.

(although it won't stop me adding aquacarbon because I see an improvement in growth rates when I use it in conjunction with co2)

Yes,

I have one and it is great - typical deltec quality. The downside is that they only take a disposable bottle - which depending upon your tank size can be used up quite quickly.

You can buy a converter that allows you to use a re-fillable bottle but these are like rocking horse sh*t!

The D-D kit has arrived. Can you advise me on how to 'remove the blanking plug at position B' in order to screw in the low pressure gauge????

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back