FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

the biffster

Moved On
Reaction score
like it says when was household
ammonia first used to cycle a fish tank
and who came up with the idea

Google search keeps taking me to a Dr. Chris Cow and a January 1999 article. I don't want to post a competing site on here, so just google Chris Cow Fishless Cycle.

Google search keeps taking me to a Dr. Chris Cow and a January 1999 article. I don't want to post a competing site on here, so just google Chris Cow Fishless Cycle.

A good read. I do though, like how he listed it as an alternate option. Obviously it being the extremely early stages of the idea he was bound to consider it an alternate option, I wonder if he would still list it as alternate?

I suppose it literally must come down to preference and experience. I certainly wouldn't suggest fish-in cycling to some of my friends, as they'd never do the frequent required water changes, so suggesting fishless cycling to newbies seems fair.

Suggesting/pressing the idea on to more experienced members though as I see so often though, much less so. If someone is willing to put all the effort in to fish-in cycle, let them.

right so we have a contradiction
in terms one says 1881 one says 1999

I've been searching round the internet, and the earliest I can find is this by James S Koga; "Use Household Ammonia to Humanely Cycle a Tank" from Freshwater and Marine Aquarium in December 1996. (from http://www.csupomona.edu/~jskoga/Aquariums/Ammonia.html)

In the article he states that he came across it 'some time ago', but doesn't say when.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back