Cycling Weirdness?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CosmicAbsolute

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, finally guy got my tank (Fluval 55) and have been cycling it since last saturday, last few days though I have gotten some test results which I am a little confused by, I keep the water temp around 78-80 degrees, pH is 7.6, I added ammonia the first day, and monitored it, adding only if it dropped, then on wednesday night I had nitrite readings, which promptly disappeared thursday morning, when I searched this it points to a glitch, now as of last night and this morning, my ammonia is at about 2 ppm, nitrites are at 0, but nitrates are hovering around 5ppm, is this normal, or did I screw something up? 

Oh, there are no plants in the aquarium, just plastic ones, and some rocks, filter is a Fluval c4 HOB, also all test results are from the API Freshwater master kit, any help would be greatly appreciated

I can't really give you an exact answer other than there's not really any point testing for nitrites until the ammonia is hitting zero!

Actually the time to start testing for nitrites is as soon as you see ammonia dropping.

Next, to what level are you dosing ammonia and how do you know?

Ammonia should not be topped up regularly, it should be added at specific times in response to specific readings from test kits. Please read here http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first

Testing for nitrate at this stage is like pouring the reagents down the toilet, don't bother.

Most reactions

trending

Back