Cycling Using Interpet New Aquarium Start Up Kit

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

richw

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've recently acquired a 200L Roma 200 tank from eBay and it's all setup and ready to go. All the decorations, live plants, filtration, air bubbles and water etc are all in and I've started a fishless cycle (pic attached). Water was tested on day 3 and it had a pH level of ~7.5.

Now I picked up an Interpet New Aquarium Start Up Kit to help cycle the tank but boy do I regret it now.. everything I've learnt over the last few weeks seems to be different to these instructions.

For example: Day 7 - Time to add some fish

Bear in mind at that point the instructions haven't prompted you to do any kind of water testing apart from the pH level. What?! Ammonia, nitrates, nitrites.. am I missing something here? Testing for nitrites comes on day 11 and that's it, no ammonia or nitrate testing!

You get 2 chemicals with the kit, here's their descriptions:

Filter start - a bacteria culture which helps rapidly start up the waste breakdown process in the filter. This process is essential for a healthy aquarium.  (I can only presume what it actually contains is ammonia).

Fresh start - conditions tap water by removing toxic chlorine and heavy metals. It adds a natural colloid which protects fishes' delicate skin and gill membranes.

I've also scanned the instructions so you can see how they explain how to do the cycle - see https://www.dropbox.com/s/mop47s4ker7tgrd/side1.jpg and https://www.dropbox.com/s/v051tqc8n7bbrcx/side2.jpg

I'm currently on day 5 of the instructions where it's instructed me to add more 'filter start'. However, I've just tested for nitrites - it came back clear which apparently means 0.0mg/L. I presume this is because the filter was used and came with some bacteria already? Should I add more filter start (would the bacteria die if not)?

What would you recommend the next step is? Do I completely ignore these instructions and follow something like http://www.wikihow.com/Do-a-Fishless-Cycle? Do I go and get ammonia and nitrate tests?

Any helps would be appreciated!

Rich

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 205
The link above will give you more details. But for a start this "filter start" will not cycle your filter in 7 days, These products are just to make money.

Anyway, The only way and one of the best ways is to cycle a tank using pure ammonia over a length of 6-8 weeks. Compare this to 7 days and you can see why this product wouldn't work.

Yep, thought as much, cheers for confirming. I'm going to switch to ammonia and do it the 'traditional' way. Huge thanks to the woman at the pet store who pushed that product on me, money well spent!

They do it far to much, The product won't be selling very well and they'll do anything they can to get rid of it.

welcomeani.gif
 to TFF!
Don't forget it is their job to sell products and if newbies didn't make the mistakes they do - they'd probably go out of business. I think the onus is on potential fish-keepers to do their research before taking the leap and making sure they are prepared to do all that is necessary.
And joining a forum like this will help achieve just that - there's a wealth of information and members willing to share their knowledge and experience so well done you, richw, for joining and asking appropriate questions!

richw said:
You get 2 chemicals with the kit, here's their descriptions:

Filter start - a bacteria culture which helps rapidly start up the waste breakdown process in the filter. This process is essential for a healthy aquarium.  (I can only presume what it actually contains is ammonia).

The Filter Start is a bacterial culture which introduces nitrifying bacteria to your aquarium.  It doesn't contain ammonia.  The bacteria need a source of ammonia for food in order to multiply and establish.  The ammonia will either come from a bottle that you add in measured quantities (if you are doing a fishless cycle) or from the fish themselves.  So the instructions on your bottle don't make any sense as the bacteria have nothing to process until you add either bottled ammonia or fish.

I've used Filter Start myself without success.  It is my belief that this product does contain live nitrifying bacteria which can process some ammonia in the short term but they are not the right type to help establish your filter long-term.  I don't have any proof to back this up, it's just my feeling from using the product.  This product is aimed at helping to deal with excess ammonia during a fish-in cycle, it's not really much use for fishless cycling.

Good on you for choosing a fishless cycle!  I recommend you add bottled ammonia to a level of 2 ppm.  It will probably take around 7-20 days for the ammonia to be processed.  Test your ammonia levels every 2-3 days and as soon as they start to drop add another half dose of ammonia.  Wait until it is all gone and start testing your nitrites.  While you're waiting for nitrites to drop, add 2ppm ammonia every 4-5 days to keep the bacteria fed.

Your tank looks great!  That's a lovely piece of driftwood.  Good luck with your cycle!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back