Cycling Section?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the pros and cons. I for one tire of eleventy hundred questions about cycling each month. 99.999% have been answered a few dozen times,(at least). But I see the mods point of all the work it would give them.
Let's face it the interweb has made research so much easier, but people in general are lazy. With a forum like this why should I look something up when I can just ask a question and let someone else do the work for me.
Sorry, don't mean to be ugly, just cranky.
I think it's great when someone wants to start off a tank right with a fishless cycle, but look around a little.
I have had many questions answered without asking by reading through related topics.

On a side note, someone please create a way to slap someone through a computer, before I get ugly with people wanting help naming thier new fish!

frapadoodle said:
I see the pros and cons. I for one tire of eleventy hundred questions about cycling each month. 99.999% have been answered a few dozen times,(at least). But I see the mods point of all the work it would give them.
Let's face it the interweb has made research so much easier, but people in general are lazy. With a forum like this why should I look something up when I can just ask a question and let someone else do the work for me.
I think it's great when someone wants to start off a tank right with a fishless cycle, but look around a little.
I have had many questions answered without asking by reading through related topics.

On a side note, someone please create a way to slap someone through a computer, before I get ugly with people wanting help naming thier new fish!
But the problem is, You'll never find the same answer twice. Everyone has different ways of doing things and their way is always the right way. Every time I see something on cycling a tank, I have to look at it and then I see a different way of doing it. I know of some people on here that will say one thing to someone about how to cycle a tank, But on another question about it they say something totally different. There needs to be a guideline that everyone follows so people don't get confused as how to do it and everyone on here should follow that guideline. It just makes it simpler so beginners aren't seeing 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 different ways of doing it and get confused, frustrated and eventually give up and end up with dead fish. Just my opinion.

CJH0825 said:

But the problem is, You'll never find the same answer twice. Everyone has different ways of doing things and their way is always the right way. Every time I see something on cycling a tank, I have to look at it and then I see a different way of doing it. I know of some people on here that will say one thing to someone about how to cycle a tank, But on another question about it they say something totally different. There needs to be a guideline that everyone follows so people don't get confused as how to do it and everyone on here should follow that guideline. It just makes it simpler so beginners aren't seeing 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 different ways of doing it and get confused, frustrated and eventually give up and end up with dead fish. Just my opinion.

I guess when I joined the forum, I spent some time snooping through threads and such (still do) establishing on who knows their caudal fin from their dorsal fin so to speak.
Maybe this could be made available for new members?
There will be certain people I listen to, and some I don't.

I for one know, for example, TwoTank will write an amazing article on cycling because he knows what he's on about :p
Whereas ILoveFish1234 who has 2 posts on the forum, probably doesn't, he might, but I won't take that risk.

Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere, but having like a voting option on comments is a good idea - seen it on some other forums. It could have negative effects but I would listen to the post with "+20 up votes" rather than somebodies comment with none or even "-3 down votes". Like when people quote and do +1 to say they agree with whatever Jimmy said to Roger about Susie's goldfish. It's information guaranteed to be more trustworthy and full proof because others back it up! :p

Likes or votes upon comments turn into a popularity contest, and don't fully reflect a person's knowledge. After all, it is voted upon by people who, as you point out yourself, don't necessairly know what they're on about.

Furthermore, people have different levels of knowledge about different facets of the hobby. I like to think I know a bit about certain areas (you might disagree with that!), and might build up some Votes or Likes based upon advice given in those areas. But I know diddly-squat about plecs and loricariid catfish - so I might say something there that's complete tosh, and people rely upon it.

the_lock_man said:
Likes or votes upon comments turn into a popularity contest, and don't fully reflect a person's knowledge. After all, it is voted upon by people who, as you point out yourself, don't necessairly know what they're on about.

Furthermore, people have different levels of knowledge about different facets of the hobby. I like to think I know a bit about certain areas (you might disagree with that!), and might build up some Votes or Likes based upon advice given in those areas. But I know diddly-squat about plecs and loricariid catfish - so I might say something there that's complete tosh, and people rely upon it.

Ahh yeah you make a fair point :p
How about little profile badges by the username or like:
(Just throwing these out there)

the_lock_man

pic

Area of Expertise: Not Plecs or Loricariid Catfish

??

:p

Well, maybe, but I reckon Chad won't be too pleased at the extra work......

Bah not like he has anything better to do :rolleyes: aha :p

What, like changing people's usernames? Hmmmmm?

Clearly...TwoTankAmin was asked if he would write the article because he was someone I trusted would do a great job. The thing is...while there are basic rules to fishkeeping there are also many different types of husbandry that actually do work. I want people to be able to figure out the method that best works for them. If we say that this or that member is one to trust then it tends to be that person's methods that get touted and followed. While those may be great methods someone might find the methods of another to be better suited to them, their lifestyle, or their tank.

I agree with frapadoodle to be honest.
Partly because I love saying his name and partly cos I agree with his statements. ;)

I'm sure the face slapped would come in handy as well. :p

There will always be people who feel more comfortable asking the question again rather than researching it. Their reasons are many...some are older and not comfortable with search queries. Some just aren't very good at it. My daughter, who is very web savvy can't seem to create a good search to save her life. I come along, change her keywords for her, and find the info right away. Some just like human contact, follow up questions and to become part of the community, others might not understand the posts they are finding and need someone to walk them through it. etc.

So while getting the same questions may be a tad boring or frustrating it is also quite helpful to those who prefer to get information that way. Forums are communities as well as information sources and sometimes we must remember to cultivate both aspects.

Again apologies, as I said I was cranky not trying to be rude. Seems three in tje morning is a good time for my dog to play.
Most of the posts about cycling I pass over, although do look in on articles by members I trust to give good info.

TallTree, full name is igglesby beauregard frapadoodle, and I think of you everyday going to work as I pass Tall Tree Drive.

But I would like to slap "help me name my new fish"

@ igglesby beauregard frapadoodle - Is talltree drive a real place?
I should move there. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back