What's new

Cycling question Fluval Spec V

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ Click here to enter! šŸ°
Okay so I decided against getting a betta today.

After setting the tank up I donā€™t seem to see any nitrates yet. Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s because Iā€™ve done another water change today. I did move half the old water over.

I may have a wait a little longer by the looks of things.

Could it be because the sponge filter in the new tank is a lot bigger?

Last edited:
Why are you looking for nitrates?

Nitrates are the end result of the filter cycle and are not going to go up or down overnight.

Anything that breaks down in water (be it fish food, fish waste, dead plant, dead fish) produce ammonia. The ammonia gets eaten by some of the filter bacteria and converted into nitrite. More filter bacteria eat the nitrite and convert it into nitrate. You get rid of nitrates with water changes.

Unless there are fish in the tank and you are putting lots of food in, the nitrates are not going to go up overnight.

Agreed. Stop worrying about nitrate until fish are in.

I'd love to offer some help, but there's a lot of info missing here.

What size are both tanks? What filters are on both tanks? What type of media did you take out, and how long was it in that bowl for?

If you took half the media of an aquaclear 10 on a 10 gallon tank and brought only half of it over to a bigger tank, you'll likely have problems. But if you brought to another 10 gallon that was half stocked or less, I'd expect great results.

I've set up tanks multiple times using your plan, but was fully confident that the established media would handle the bio load. I added fish (not a full stocking) and monitored the water conditions to ensure the cycle was kept. I've never had a problem.

What size are both tanks? What filters are on both tanks? What type of media did you take out, and how long was it in that bowl for?

If you took half the media of an aquaclear 10 on a 10 gallon tank and brought only half of it over to a bigger tank, you'll likely have problems. But if you brought to another 10 gallon that was half stocked or less, I'd expect great results.

I've set up tanks multiple times using your plan, but was fully confident that the established media would handle the bio load. I added fish (not a full stocking) and monitored the water conditions to ensure the cycle was kept. I've never had a problem
How long are you supposed to run a fishless cycle? Does it depend on what method you use?

How long are you supposed to run a fishless cycle? Does it depend on what method you use?

A new tank with new media will usually take around 4 to 8 weeks for a fishless cycle.

If you brought enough media over, it will speed up the process and possibly even finish it instantly if done right.

A new tank with new media will usually take around 4 to 8 weeks for a fishless cycle.

If you brought enough media over, it will speed up the process and possibly even finish it instantly if done right
Okay, I cycled my last tank for 2 1/2 months...I probably could have shortened the time, right?

Okay, I cycled my last tank for 2 1/2 months...I probably could have shortened the time, right?

Possibly. You would need to test your water as you go to be sure.

Let's stay on topic here. OP needs some help!

I've set up tanks multiple times using your plan, but was fully confident that the established media would handle the bio load. I added fish (not a full stocking) and monitored the water conditions to ensure the cycle was kept. I've never had a problem.
Iā€™ve attached some pictures of the tank. Itā€™s a 19l Fluval spec v (5 gallon). I love this tank and if I could get it in a bigger version Iā€™d end up with multiple of them.

I am aware itā€™s a bit empty, the tanks a working progress, I need to pick up some more gravel and plants. Iā€™m aware the fish will need a background as well.

As you can see is has a built in flirtation system. So the media for it is a large/ish sponge, carbon, and bio max.

My guppy tank is 10 gallons. So yes the tank is larger.

However, this tank has a a Fluval U1 filter running through it. So the media is just a small sponge, itā€™s a proper filter. I personally think this is what will prevent it from have any impact at all.

Itā€™s taken a lot of effort setting it up, breaking down a professionally fitted shelf wasnā€™t the easiest. So it would be a shame to just just empty the tank out again.

But Iā€™ve never done a fishless cycle before, so I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be very good at it.

Thank you all for your help!

Attachments

• D7922CB6-DD06-42DC-BDF4-8568036139D1.jpeg
    D7922CB6-DD06-42DC-BDF4-8568036139D1.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 146
  • EB658A40-5642-4B10-9C8E-CEF65ABD7291.jpeg
    EB658A40-5642-4B10-9C8E-CEF65ABD7291.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Possibly. You would need to test your water as you go to be sure.

Let's stay on topic here. OP needs some help
Aye aye Captain.

But Iā€™ve never done a fishless cycle before, so I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be very good at it
You don't want nitrate readings if you can help it. Let the tank run until the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are 0. You can add beneficial bacteria to boost things a bit. @Metalhead88 said to run the tank for 4-8 wks so I would do that.
In my opinion, fishless cycles are easier than fish cycles.

Im thinking you can add fish slowly. You need an ammonia source to keep the cycle going. And keep a close eye on ammonia. If you have ammonia the tank is still cycling.

You will have nitrates. That's normal. As previously stated, nitrate is the end result of the cycle and the only way to remove them is from water changes or live plants.

Nitrates for me are around 10 before water change. I don't have live plants.

Zero ammonia, zero nitrite, and under 10 nitrate is what your aiming for.

Im thinking you can add fish slowly. You need an ammonia source to keep the cycle going. And keep a close eye on ammonia. If you have ammonia the tank is still cycling.

You will have nitrates. That's normal. As previously stated, nitrate is the end result of the cycle and the only way to remove them is from water changes or live plants.

Nitrates for me are around 10 before water change. I don't have live plants.

Zero ammonia, zero nitrite, and under 10 nitrate is what your aiming for.
Thanks for your reply @Metalhead88 I think I was expecting an instant cycle. Thats why I was expecting nitrates to show. I am aware they are the end result. Iā€™ve read different things on this matter.

I imagine, if I had 2 filters running for the past 6 months in my established tank. Then removed one of them completely and put it in a different tank. This would have probably had a higher chance of working.

When changing filtration system I know things can get complicated.

How long would you observe ammonia levels before adding adding anything in? Iā€™m not sure what source I could add thatā€™s available in the UK.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back