Cycling Poll

How did you cycle your tank?

  • Fishless Cycle with success

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fishless Cycle with problems

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fish In Cycle with success

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fish In cycle with problems

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bactinette with success

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bactinette with problems

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other live bacteria with success

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other live bacteria with problems

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other bacteria methods with success

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other bacteria methods with problems

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
Said so before & I say it again...... Never cycled.... Buy brand new tank... Brand new gravel, filters and heaters etc. etc... Wash the gravel set up the tank, and when the water temp reaches the desired 26/27 deg C, I add the fish.... In almost 40 years fish keeping..... cannot say I lost any more (or less) than the average aquarist going through the rituals.....

Been taken to task before for saying this (in public) so I would not recommend it...."DON"T DO THIS AT HOME!!" Smoking can be harmful to those around you.

Dont worry about it, the cavemen were keeping their tropical fish this way for hundreds of years and i dont see them complaining.

I've bin compared to many things more vulgar that cavemen before, but yea!! ok... I'll accept.
 
i cycled with fish, just a couple of golden barbs (i didn't know any other way at the time) but i must admit it worked out fine, did do loads of water changes thou. if i started again i would do it fishless just because i think its more rewarding knowing that things are being done the right way
 
Sorry Axleuk, I couldn't wait for your new thread.

How can you prove if a fish is not in good health if it shows no sign of discomfort?

The fish will almost certainly show signs of discomfort when being subjected to the ammonia. The question is really whether the aquarist notices these signs and identifies them correctly.

I personally, and if i can be proved wrong i would welcome the evidence, dont believe there is any scientific evidence to show that a fish is in pain.

In the second paragraph of the first post in the link below, Bignose cites a scientific paper which shows that even very low level exposure to ammonia is detrimental to the long-term health of fish.

http://www.fishforums.net/content/forum/15...Ammonia-Charts/

..........and for the record, I am definitely not Josef Fritzl.
 
it says ive voted and i havent! :(,anyway ill confess to buying a tank( 170L) filling it with water then (on my lfs advice) putting 8 neons in the next day, then 4 gouramis, then guppies, then silver sharks, i lost them all eventually, they lasted about 2 months and the guppies lasted till last month, but i wouldnt use bacinettes (sp) myself ,only because i worked so so hard to understand about the cycle process,tho having said that i have never done one yet, i have done a spike, but thats about it all my others are clones, i purposly bought filters that i could use to clone without toomuch effort ( i mean not odd shaped media etc)

just my opinion tho, nothing wrong with doing it your own way i spose

shwlagh xxx


i seem to have changed my name :blush: ah well its been a long few days, and thankyou * you know who* for pointing it out :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top