Cycling Poll

How did you cycle your tank?

  • Fishless Cycle with success

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fishless Cycle with problems

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fish In Cycle with success

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fish In cycle with problems

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bactinette with success

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bactinette with problems

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other live bacteria with success

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other live bacteria with problems

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other bacteria methods with success

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other bacteria methods with problems

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0

Axleuk

Fishaholic
Joined
Jul 23, 2008
Messages
571
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Bridgend, South Wales
I would be interested to see how many people have had success with the various methods of cycling. This includes but is not limited to the options i have added to the poll.

If there is something i have left off, please feel free to outline your experiences below.
 
I would be interested to see how many people have had success with the various methods of cycling. This includes but is not limited to the options i have added to the poll.

If there is something i have left off, please feel free to outline your experiences below.



Hi Alex,
Can I ask you how you know if you have cycled and will continue to cycle when using Bactinette? If i recall in a thread you said you cycled using a product in 24 hrs... Lucky Bugger :good: Did you add ammonia or something afterwards and watch it get eaten then turn into NO2 then to N03? Or do you not do this with the product you used?

I have succesfully cycled 1 tank with ammonia over 4 weeks and am attempting a second although it may take a while longer but im sure of success witthe ammonia..Thanks to joining this forum or else if still be doing the old school fish in cycle and id have killed dozens of pilot fish into the bargain..

Regards as ever..
 
I would be interested to see how many people have had success with the various methods of cycling. This includes but is not limited to the options i have added to the poll.

If there is something i have left off, please feel free to outline your experiences below.



Hi Alex,
Can I ask you how you know if you have cycled and will continue to cycle when using Bactinette? If i recall in a thread you said you cycled using a product in 24 hrs... Lucky Bugger :good: Did you add ammonia or something afterwards and watch it get eaten then turn into NO2 then to N03? Or do you not do this with the product you used?

I have succesfully cycled 1 tank with ammonia over 4 weeks and am attempting a second although it may take a while longer but im sure of success witthe ammonia..Thanks to joining this forum or else if still be doing the old school fish in cycle and id have killed dozens of pilot fish into the bargain..

Regards as ever..

Hi Tag,

I have pretty much covered everything i have done in this post Cycling with Bactinette - Progress.
I was all geared up to cycle fishless when i spotted Bactinette in the store. It appears that 2 stores i have spoken to use Bactinette to cycle all their tanks and to be honest, if it is good enough for them and all their tanks, it was good enough for me to at least try.

So far so good, i try and post my water results daily and will not hide anything should those results change. I am not here to tell people the use Bactinette opposed to other methods of cycling, but i do want to inform others that there is alternatives and share my experience.

I have added fish a couple at a time and monitored the water and so far its been possitive.

I am happy to answer any questions but bear in mind, i am no expert and this is all new to me and i am learning all the time.
 
Axle, I have seen your new found enthusiasm for bactinettes which are not available here in the US. I have voted as fishless cycle but after my first tank, the fishless cycle has taken less than a week each time because I am cloning my cycled tank by sharing filter media with each new tank and getting the benefit of stocking tanks at full levels within a week. Your artificial cloning method may have worked out for you one time but that hardly says it is a reliable method to use. What it is can best be described as good fortune for you and your fish. The next time you buy your product, you may well end up with one of the containers that has not been taken care of properly. On that day you will be starting your first fish-in cycle without having prepared for it properly. I wish you all the best in the future and hope you luck holds out.
 
I fishless cycled the first tank with success and cloned all of the others. :good:
 
IMO, you really need to let go on the Bactinettes thing just a bit. You haven't discovered some revolution that will deliver the hobby from cycling - it worked for you once, and your experience isn't unusual, but neither is it typical. Plenty of people have testified using it to no avail. It's all well and good if it works, but we're a long way from the point when you really can take the risk of adding fish after a bacteria product without at least a curtailed fishless cycle first.
 
I voted on a few of them, as over the years I have used a few methods. My experiences are pretty similar to those of OldMan47, years ago the only known cycling method was a traditional cycle with a few hardy fish.

So I have a couple of tanks that were cycled with fish, a couple fishless, the rest cloned. I think cloning is something folks with multiple tanks do on a regular basis, at least in my experiences. No adding ammonia, no testing, just divide up the mature media & fish between a couple of tanks, and go with it.

Cloning basicaly works on the idea that your bio media, when cycled & mature, will support a certain bio load. Let's use an imaginary 10 gallon tank for an example, with 10 neons, and 10 cubic inches of mature bio media. Half the media will support half the fish, so you could take half of each, put them in another tank, and be reasonably sure you will not have any cycling problems.

Mature nitrifying bacteria are capable of doubling in 24 hours. So after a couple of days you could add a few more neons, or a similar bio load, to our imaginary tanks. I do suggest testing the first couple of times anyone tries this, as well as feeding lightly, as less food means less waste produced.

This is one of the reasons folks run spare filters. I run multiple filters in many tanks, and think nothing of pulling out a spare filter, setting up a tank, and adding fish I have acquired right away. Fast the donor tank for a day or two, feed lightly for the next week, no problems. When I shut a tank down, as is often the case early in summer, the filter goes into a stocked tank.

I have yet to use any supplement or additive for cycling, I trust my media more than a product where I have no control over the shipping, handling, or storage.
 
i dont use any of those methods. i always cloned a tank and media.
so much easier and you have an instantly ready tank.
 
@ Oldman47

This is not a 'new found enthusiasm'. This is the first time i have looked after fish for myself and i was all geared up for a fishless cycle when i discovered the product in my lfs. After reading about the product and hearing of other people success, i decided that i would try it.

It has worked for me and therfore i am happy to share my experience.

@Corleone

I'm affraid i dont really have to let go of anything. I wouldnt advise you to let go of something, just because others did not approve. It is splashed all over the forum about 'Fishless Cycling' in a way that alomost forces those new to the hobby to use the method becuae, until now, there really was no other documented comparisions they could draw their own conclusions from.

I have merely chosen to document my experience so others may make an informed choice bassed on the information around them. Fishless Cycling is great, i know it is, and if you are prepared to wait the length of time it takes to acheive the exact same result i have acheived in a matter days, then that is your personal choice.

My lfs stocks and looks after Bactinette the way it was intended. They are a national chain up and down the Uk and it is the only method these use to cycle their tanks, thats why they stock the product, because it has worked for them and these are people that look after fish professionally for a living so i was happy to accept their advice and at leaast try it.

Please do not ask me 'let go' of something i believe in.

@Tolak
@Gill

I only have one tank at present, but i can guarentee that i will be cloning my next tank, and every other tank there after.

I understand and appreciate the cloning method and believe that most people who take the time to read up on the subject will also chose this method also. It makes perfect sense.
 
You say you see the virtues of cloning tanks, but you've already once recommended bactinettes over cloning at least once. That's what I mean about letting go - at least read the threads before you plug the product. You might even notice how often it's mentioned already.
 
i cycled with fish but i had 50% mature tank water and filter media i had no losses and my yellow lab started holding after a week also my tank became fully cycled just after 2 weeks
 
You say you see the virtues of cloning tanks, but you've already once recommended bactinettes over cloning at least once. That's what I mean about letting go - at least read the threads before you plug the product. You might even notice how often it's mentioned already.

Unfortunately, having been relatively new to the forum i have not had the opportunity to read ALL posts regarding Bactinette, i am merely speaking from my own experience with it and offering the option to others, as is everyone else who has an alternative method they wish to highlight.

Regarding my recommendation of Bactinette over cloning, if you would be kind enough to point me to the thread where i did so, i can then respond accordingly.
 
Fish in cycling, i wouldnt waist my time with it again, seemd like having fish straight away was a good idea, the constant water changes got dull, fast.
 
1st tank I ever had, fish in, didnt know any better and lost the first few inhabitants over a period of a couple of months, some during the cycling process, others later on, probably in bad health because of the poisoning I unwittingly put them through.

Since then, always done a fishless cycle, even when I get new tanks, I use some mature media but still proceed with the fishless cycle for a couple of weeks before adding the fish. If Im in no hurry, then I start from scratch without mature media, as Im doing now with a 50g :)
 
set my tank up, let it run for a week, got loads of fish, didnt do water changes for about a month, and nothing died! :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top