Cycling new tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Daveafc67

Reaction score
hi I am dave, new member , I have just purchased a new 350 litre tank and have started to cycle it I have added a filter sponge from my other tank that I am upgrading from I have also added a few live plants and a large piece of bog wood, I was told that using seacham stability was good to help the cycle get going a bit quicker I. Have added this at the recommended dose for the last 4 days but have not seen any thing happen after I have tested my water, have read quite a bit about cycling your tank and adding pure ammonia or adding fish flake to get the ammonia started ? Do you have to add or will it happen on its own ? Nothing was suggested on the back of the stability bottle! My other tank was second hand so had been cycled so sort off new to this cycling, can anyone please give me a couple of tips? I don't mind waiting for it to cycle but don't won't to be doing it wrongly and it taking more time than it needs to by not doing some thing that would have helped! Thank u for taking the time to read my post hope some one can help many thanks dave

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

According to the Seachem website, the product (Seachem Stability) is basically filter bacteria in a bottle. You add it each day for a week to introduce beneficial filter bacteria to an aquarium and it helps seed the filter so theoretically you don't get ammonia or nitrite readings.

If there are no fish in the tank then there won't be any food for the filter bacteria and they will remain dormant. The bacteria eat ammonia, which is produced by fish food, fish waste, dead fish or plants, rotting wood or anything else that breaks down in the water. The ammonia gets eaten by various bacteria and converted into nitrite. More bacteria eat the nitrite and convert it into nitrate.

Adding bacteria in a bottle means you set the tank up, dechlorinate the water, let the tank run for a couple of days and then add fish. Because you have added some of the filter material from an established filter, and the bacterial supplements, you shouldn't get an ammonia or nitrite reading when you add fish. However, if you leave the tank for too long (more than a couple of weeks) without providing some ammonia, the bacteria will go dormant.

If the tank has been set up for a couple of days then you should add some fish.

If you are simply upgrading fish from one tank to another, you can set the new tank up, wait a couple of days then move the fish and filter onto the new tank. If the new tank has a different filter you move the fish and filter material into the new tank. The filter bacteria will be on and in the filter media and give you an instant cycled filter.

If you set up a new tank but want to keep the old tank going, you set up the new tank and let it run for a couple of days. Then take half the filter material from the established tank and put it in the new filter, and add fish within 24 hours of adding the filter media.

With these methods you add fish, keep feeding down for the first few weeks and do a big water change (using dechlorinated water) if you get an ammonia or nitrite reading.

According to the Seachem website, the product (Seachem Stability) is basically filter bacteria in a bottle. You add it each day for a week to introduce beneficial filter bacteria to an aquarium and it helps seed the filter so theoretically you don't get ammonia or nitrite readings.

If there are no fish in the tank then there won't be any food for the filter bacteria and they will remain dormant. The bacteria eat ammonia, which is produced by fish food, fish waste, dead fish or plants, rotting wood or anything else that breaks down in the water. The ammonia gets eaten by various bacteria and converted into nitrite. More bacteria eat the nitrite and convert it into nitrate.

Adding bacteria in a bottle means you set the tank up, dechlorinate the water, let the tank run for a couple of days and then add fish. Because you have added some of the filter material from an established filter, and the bacterial supplements, you shouldn't get an ammonia or nitrite reading when you add fish. However, if you leave the tank for too long (more than a couple of weeks) without providing some ammonia, the bacteria will go dormant.

If you are simply upgrading fish from one tank to another, you can set the new tank up, wait a couple of days then move the fish and filter onto the new tank. If the new tank has a different filter you move the fish and filter material into the new tank. The filter bacteria will be on and in the filter media and give you an instant cycled filter.

If you set up a new tank but want to keep the old tank going, you set up the new tank and let it run for a couple of days. Then take half the filter material from the established tank and put it in the new filter, and add fish within 24 hours of adding the filter media.

With these methods you add fish, keep feeding down for the first few weeks and do a big water change (using dechlorinated water) if you get an ammonia or nitrite reading.

Hi Colin thank you for taking the time out to help me out, also went to my local aquatic shop this morning and they told me the same as you suggested to add a few fish and keep an eye on my tests, so have put 2 silver millets 2 Golden gourami and 2 red sword tails into the new tank and will keep an eye on them, thanks again for your reply regards dave

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back