jonnyf84
Fish Herder
- Joined
- Mar 18, 2008
- Messages
- 1,119
- Reaction score
- 1
- Points
- 38
hi,
ok this is the first time i've used the ammonia method to cycle a tank, previously i have used different methods but i fancied a change. I have been adding 5ml of ammonia every time it drops below 1ppm. I am now a month to the day into the cycle and its hardly been plain sailing.
It took 13 days for the original 5ml to drop to 2.5ppm which i think is longer than it should have, after that first decrease the ammonia has been dissapearing in less than 24 hours right up until day 27 (3 days ago), since then i have not added any ammonia as it has almost stopped decreasing, nitrites are off the chart and nitrates are at around 40ppm.
I cant understand why the ammonia consumption has almost stopped, especially as the ammonia feeding nitrites are off the chart. Is this normal?
Can anybody explain?
ok this is the first time i've used the ammonia method to cycle a tank, previously i have used different methods but i fancied a change. I have been adding 5ml of ammonia every time it drops below 1ppm. I am now a month to the day into the cycle and its hardly been plain sailing.
It took 13 days for the original 5ml to drop to 2.5ppm which i think is longer than it should have, after that first decrease the ammonia has been dissapearing in less than 24 hours right up until day 27 (3 days ago), since then i have not added any ammonia as it has almost stopped decreasing, nitrites are off the chart and nitrates are at around 40ppm.
I cant understand why the ammonia consumption has almost stopped, especially as the ammonia feeding nitrites are off the chart. Is this normal?
Can anybody explain?
i missed one day because i was rushed off my feet. So a 60% water change should get it back up to 6.5 - 7, its gonna set me back by about a week i reckon. Anything productive to say robby then i would love to hear from you.
Watch this space.






