Cycling a Baby BiOrb

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

HarpyFishLover

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello again!

So a few weeks ago I FINALLY convinced my parents to let me buy a baby BiOrb aquarium. It's 4 gallons, so I'm putting a betta in it. I was wondering what the best way to cycle it was? I never really cycled my 10 gallon properly... and I blame Gordon's early death on that. So now I know that just having it up a week doesn't cycle it. My question, I guess, is: Is it better to use the packet of bacteria that came with the tank and just throw a fish in there? Or is it better to try to find and carefully measure household ammonia, which honestly doesn't seem safe?

Thanks in advance for helpful answers.

It won't hurt to add the bacteria packet, but idk if it will work very well. What brand is it? If I was you, I'd be adding some of the filter media from your other tank into the new one, throw in a small pinch of fish food and let it run for a week or two. Test out the water parameters every few days if you can, the cheaper test strips should work well enough.

In all honestly, I don't really bother with readings when I'm setting up a new tank. I just stuff the new filter with old media, let it run for maybe a week with some fish food doing it's thing in the water. This is where I say "Do what I say, not what I do" lol. I haven't had fish die from an uncycled tank since my first 5 gallon, which was several years ago :p

I too am cycling a tank except without a test kit what im doing is putting fish food and snails to generate ammonia then I waited a day and put in the beneficial bacteria and now im waiting for 2 weeks. So I guess measure household ammonia then use that bacteria.

I could do without a snail infestation.
Haha, thanks for the replies, very helpful. I'm not sure why I didn't think of fish food myself.
The problem with putting in media from my other tank is: I HAVE no filter media. I simply have snail-infested gravel and some snail-infested decorations. The only thing I can think of is the carbon filter cartridge... but that's not going anywhere. I think I'll just use the media which came with it, the bacteria packet, and some fish food. I'll update when the cycle is complete :D

I'd either use ammonia or add mature media, the fish food method is terrible as there's no real way to dose the correct amount to give you the ammonia concentration required, if using mature media, add the fish and mature media together - test your water parameters daily, things should be good from the off, but if they're not do water changes as and when appropriate.

Also in my opinion 4 gallons isn't sufficient for a Betta, I'd only keep shrimp in a tank this size.

Also in my opinion 4 gallons isn't sufficient for a Betta, I'd only keep shrimp in a tank this size.
IMO 5 gallon minimum, 10 gallon is better.

Haha, thanks for the replies, very helpful. I'm not sure why I didn't think of fish food myself.
The problem with putting in media from my other tank is: I HAVE no filter media. I simply have snail-infested gravel and some snail-infested decorations. The only thing I can think of is the carbon filter cartridge... but that's not going anywhere. I think I'll just use the media which came with it, the bacteria packet, and some fish food. I'll update when the cycle is complete :D

This is why I love filter floss. I have it in all my filters so when I want to seed a new tank I just grab some out of one filter and put it in another. It's cheap, reusable (just rinse it really good) and doesn't break down. The only problem is, after rinsing it a few time the fibers become more compacted and tangled. That's when I toss it ;)

UGH snails are a nightmare. Have you thought of tossing out the old gravel and cleaning the entire tank/filter/decorations in diluted bleach? Regular unscented bleach will not leave a dangerous residue in your tank once you clean and dry it as long as its diluted when you use it. You can thoroughly rinse the tank/decorations and just double dose your water conditioner to get rid of the remaining bleach.

On a side note for mature media suggestion, do you have a friend or relative you know has a healthy established tank? They may be willing to part with a portion of their filter media you can use to seed the new tank you have. Just make sure they take the portion and store it in a sealed container/baggy with water from their tank. If it gets dry, or they use unconditioned water, it can kill any bacteria on the media. Best of luck!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back