Cycle Tank ?

Ash_hogley

New Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2009
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
London
I have has my 2ft tank set up for about 2 weeks now. it has a 50W Heater and a elite stingray in there, which came with the tank. I would like to add some tetras and other things, How long till I can add these fish ?
 
Hi Ash, I responded to your question over in the beginner section. Note that with an Elite Stingray we might want to see if some other member knows whether your model might be one of those that comes with Zeolite paks already in the filter, which would chemically remove ammonia, messing up the normal cycling effort. Anybody know if this or which of the stingrays do this??
 
I have a Stingray 5 which is the smallest. It came with it but I later removed it and put filter floss in its place.
 
Any tips on how Ash could recognize which media paks are the zeolite and what might be the easiest good biomedia to switch to?
 
the cartridges have Black and White Rock in them (Carbon and Zeolite). I would just remove those and toss anything that fits inside. Filter Floss/Sponges work very well, just cut to fit. Also you may want to remove the Black Filter pads tword the intake since those are just carbon pads which loos effectiveness after a week. Personal opinion says go Fluval Internal. I have used a U1 and 2+ and both work very well. If your up for something besides internal you can never go wrong with a Aqua Clear HoB or a Eheim Canister (I have used all 4 brands listed and Recommended all but stingray).

Just toss the stingray Media (not the Zeiolite/Carbon Packs) into the new filter with the new media and your ready to go.
 
the cartridges have Black and White Rock in them (Carbon and Zeolite). I would just remove those and toss anything that fits inside. Filter Floss/Sponges work very well, just cut to fit. Also you may want to remove the Black Filter pads tword the intake since those are just carbon pads which loos effectiveness after a week. Personal opinion says go Fluval Internal. I have used a U1 and 2+ and both work very well. If your up for something besides internal you can never go wrong with a Aqua Clear HoB or a Eheim Canister (I have used all 4 brands listed and Recommended all but stingray).

Just toss the stingray Media (not the Zeiolite/Carbon Packs) into the new filter with the new media and your ready to go.
Yes, seems there's a money aspect in this. We've definalely had a few people report in the beginners section that even after re-doing all the stingray media to remove the zeolite and carbon and get the right things in there that they -still- felt it perhaps just wasn't a very effective filter (I guess from a media-volume and flow-rate aspect perhaps) and so a number of them have just ended up dumping the filter entirely and going with a different brand such as a fluval internal, an AC HOB or of course an external.

On the other hand, if the OP feels the filter was an investment they don't want to just dump, then the re-do of the media seems the essential thing to do for the short term.. I guess others here would agree?

~~waterdrop~~
(thanks for your help mwood!)
 
So I gotta sell or get shot of the stingray and get a whole new filter. This isnt a problem as Im sure I can get some off here for cheap or my local shop does them cheap as well. So what numbr and type filter would I be looking for for my 2ft tank ? 60 ltrs
 
You can get an Aqua Clear for under 40 bucks. A Fluval U2 will cost you around 50. If your strapped for cash you can get an Marineland Bio Wheel for cheaper then both of those. of course those are US prices but I am sure they are similar. If you buy a Marineland I suggest not using the normal filter cartridge either. You can use simple filter sponges/floss. I just buy Aqua Clear Sponges and Bio max and stuff that in place of Marineland Pads. Choice is yours but you but I assure you you cant go wrong with any of those.
 
My mate is getting shot of a Fluval 105 (outside the tank filter) And was wondering if this would be any good for my tank? He is only going to throw it in the bin and its working fine, just needs some new carbon and spounges
 
I would take a Canister filter over HoB or Internal anyday. Eheim is the top brand but Fluval has received mixed reviews. Some people say they would only used if payed to use it others have had good expectancies. I'd say take it if its free, if you don't like it you dont have anything to loose. Just toss your current media inside it.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top