Cycle Process

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

geoff19780

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently in the process of a fishless cycle following the info in the add and wait method. It's going well so far but I have a few questions if someone can help.

Is the cycle process only complete once nitrites are processed back to zero within a 12 hour period? Currently ammonia is going back to zero within 12 hours but nitrites are taking about 24 hours.

I've been doing the cycle for about 5 weeks now.

Thanks,

Geoff

The cycle is technically complete in some sense once your filter/bacteria is capable of removing the Ammonia and Nitrite into Nitrate. However it is a highly recommended guideline to follow the 12 hour timeframe. At 5 weeks with Nitrite at 0 in 24 hours, I would probably say it might take another week or so from my experience with two tanks to get close or onto the 12 hours. You are then suggested to keep doing it for a week to ensure it wasn't just a one off. Then once you have 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrite after 12 hours of adding around 4ppm Ammonia for a week then you are good to go!

I would advise not over stocking the tank too fast, started off with probably around 50% of my total stocking (adult size) of course the fish were juveniles.

I strongly advise doing the "Qualifying Week" which is the week of ensuring it's removed in 12 hours. The week will also give you time to ensure you are free to closely monitor the tank, find suitable stockists for your fish etc etc. Also last minute changes may be made without disturbing the fish, or in fact an entire substrate change if you wanted! :eek:

sound advice so far......hope you take it and I am sure you will after 5 weeks of cycling.......you are sooooo close!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back