Cycle Going Right?

Leedsboi86

Fish Addict
Joined
Aug 7, 2006
Messages
868
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Leeds - United Kingdom
Hi everyone!

I'm just under 3 weeks into my Cycle using the prawn method.
Test last night showed
Ammonia - 4.5
Nitrite - 0.7

Is this going well so far?
 
Your starting to see nitrite which is a good sign.
It should go off the chart for a while, before it starts to come down.

I dont know the prawn method, but eventually you aim to have ammonia and nitrite at 0 within 12 hours of adding more ammonia - not sure how it will work with prawns but Im sure someone more scientific will be along to help you out.

Keep up the good work :)
 
0.0
I was told by Guide and Kat that once they both reach 0.0 then the cycle is over and I can add fish slowly.

Like previous poster I am not sure how the prawn method can work. Ok, so rotting prawn produces ammonia and bacteria forms to process it. In turn nitrite is produced from this process which steadily rises. Eventually another bacteria forms to process that. Now then, when your ammonia reading drops to zero is this because there is enough processing bacteria to combat the ammonia or has ammonia stopped being produced? It is unlikely that ammonia and nitrite levels drop to zero simultaneously so it's a guess at best.

Can you not use pure ammonia?

I am sure someone will put us in the picture :shifty:
 
I cycled my tank with prawns and it worked fine. The only problem is that you can't measure how much ammonia is being produced. I just added a few more prawns every day to keep the ammonia production reasonably constant.

The only thing i would say is that because you can't measure how much ammonia is being produced, and therefore don't know how much ammonia you filter can cope with once it is cycled (it will be cycled to some degree, how much is anyone's guess), and hence you can't really risk stocking all at once as you can if you use bottled ammonia.

I added some Neon Tetras first (i know better now), and gradually buily up the stocking from there. Some may say it defeats the purpose of fishless cycling altogether, but i say at least it saved those 'cycling fish' from ammonia and nitrite poisoning in the initial stages.

Leedsboi, to conclude, cycling with prawns can and does work, but is less measurable and therefore less reliable than using bottled ammonia. Can't you use bottled ammonia for some reason? I could suggest places where you would find it if you like?

BTT :good:
 
I have tried gettin it from many places

B&Q
Boots
Woods
Homebase
D.I.Y
Health Stop


they all said they no longer sell it due to regulations.

I have already put the prawns in and got the ammonia so is it not bad to add pure ammonia at this stage?
I really don't wanna start the cycle all over again
 
I'm sure Homebase still sell it. I seen it the other day.

Some places will be funny about selling it to you because it is used for making bombs and crack cocaine (not kidding, thats true). I think lots of places will say they don't stock it if you phone, even though they actually do. I'm sure if you wander into Homebase and look around the cleaning products, you'll find some. It's called 'Household Ammonia'.

You would be able to continue the cycle from where it is. It's not bad to add pure ammonia once you've started. You wouldn't have to start over again.

You can continue with the prawns if you prefer, but bottled ammonia is more reliable.

Cheers :good:

BTT
 

Most reactions

Back
Top