Cycle a new tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hmmm, that could be a fluorescent tube? We have always had fluorescent lights in our kitchens. And it is fluorescents that are known to have this problem.

So what you thinking mate you think I should keep topping my ammonia when it reaches 0

At this stage, I think you could get fish. You say you want to keep orandas, how many were you thinking? Unless one of the goldfish experts say otherwise, maybe get one fish and monitor the water daily for ammonia and nitrite. If you see either above zero, do a water change. If they stay at zero for a couple of weeks, get the next fish, and test every day and so on.
But do a huge water change first. All the ammonia you've been adding will have made a lot of nitrate and you need to get that right back down to the level in your tap water.

Do you have any live plants? I've skimmed back through this thread and haven't noticed anything about plants. These use ammonia as fertiliser and will help keep ammonia at zero - and they don't turn it into nitrite. Floating plants are best as the other two things they need - light and carbon dioxide - are plentiful at the water surface. I have water sprite floating on my tropical tank but even plants like erigeria (elodea) stems can be left to float.

I haven't got plants no you reckon I should get some ? Just 2 oranads and right I'll wait till it goes 0 and how big of a water change you reckon I should do

Do as big a water change as possible - right down to the bottom.

Live plants do help keep a tank healthy. But I would see if anyone who keep goldies has advice as to which ones are best for them. @Deanasue should be able to help as she has goldfish.

Goldfish should have true aquatic plants in their tank so they can eat them. The plants help their digestion and overall health.

Some good plants to try include Ambulia, Hygrophila polysperma, H. ruba/ rubra, Elodia (during summer, but don't buy it in winter because it falls apart), Hydrilla, common Amazon sword plant, narrow Vallis, Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) and Duckweed.
The Water Sprite normally floats on the surface but can also be planted in the substrate.
Duckweed floats on the surface.
The other plants should be planted in the gravel.

That's the colour I get in 24 hours but this is like my 4th 5th time now any suggestions

Attachments

• 15804073040295835633999686469588.jpg
    15804073040295835633999686469588.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 66
That's definitely not due to the light, or even that you are one of the people who never see the yellow because of the way their eyes work - in these cases, the level appears to be 0.25 when it's actually zero and yours is well above that.

To be honest, I don't know what to suggest. The ammonia level should be dropping lower than that by now.

Remind us again - how long have you been adding ammonia? And have you ever seen a zero reading?

It's been well over a week adding ammonia but I started with dr Tim's one and only it be defo 0 in morning so that be like 32 hours I last added ammonia

Should I wait until Gomez when its 0 do a water change get some plants and 1 oranda

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back