Cycle a new tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kazaw92

Reaction score
Hey I'm just confused a t min I've started my new tank and I've put in stress coat and stress zyme in the dosage it says but I've got no ammonia to add so I've been putting in fish flakes for past few days but there no sign of ammonia can any 1 help me please

Fish food will need to break down before ammonia appears. Bottled ammonia is a better way to cycle if you can find some. With bottled ammonia you know exactly how much ammonia is added to the tank; with fish food you can't know how much is being added. As you are in the UK, look for Jeyes Keen Off Household Ammonia - I got mine from my local DIY shop. Failing that, Ebay or Amazon

Hey I'm just confused a t min I've started my new tank and I've put in stress coat and stress zyme in the dosage it says but I've got no ammonia to add so I've been putting in fish flakes for past few days but there no sign of ammonia can any 1 help me please
Fish food will need to break down before ammonia appears. Bottled ammonia is a better way to cycle if you can find some. With bottled ammonia you know exactly how much ammonia is added to the tank; with fish food you can't know how much is being added. As you are in the UK, look for Jeyes Keen Off Household Ammonia - I got mine from my local DIY shop. Failing that, Ebay or Amazon

Will any should hold ammonia do or is there a typical type of ammonia I need

There are two types of bottle ammonia - those that contain detergent, perfume etc and those that don't. We need to use one that doesn't contain anything besides ammonia, or ammonium hydroxide, and water. I know the Jeyes one doesn't as I have some. Someone reported finding ammonia in The Range, but that turned out to contain detergent.
Look on the label. If it doesn't say, shake the bottle. Detergent free ammonia will make big bubbles that burst quickly while the type with detergent will foam.

There are two types of bottle ammonia - those that contain detergent, perfume etc and those that don't. We need to use one that doesn't contain anything besides ammonia, or ammonium hydroxide, and water. I know the Jeyes one doesn't as I have some. Someone reported finding ammonia in The Range, but that turned out to contain detergent.
Look on the label. If it doesn't say, shake the bottle. Detergent free ammonia will make big bubbles that burst quickly while the type with detergent will foam.
You reckon a pet store will sell ammonia in a bottle

FDED511C-4AE4-47F6-8D5A-2D27A04D7203.png
If you’re in the States, You can order Dr. Tim’s from his site. Just Google it. You may want to order some of his “One and Only” too. It’s a bottled bacteria that will help speed up your cycle. NOTE: I just checked and you can buy both at Chewy.com and it will be here in 2 days.

Last edited:
Pet stores don't sell ammonia as they don't usually believe in fishless cycling. You have to get it from the cleaning section of a non-fish shop.

Pet stores don't sell ammonia as they don't usually believe in fishless cycling. . .
that's not totally correct. most places that sell marine fish sell bottles of ammonia. however, they don't call it ammonia, they usually have it under a name and they do use it to cycle marine tanks due to the high pH of sea water and the high cost of marine fish. it costs a lot more tho if you buy it form a pet shop.

OP-I posted above that you can order from Chewey’s. Here in 2 days.

The OP is in the UK so it could well be longer than 2 days before it arrives. Ebay and Amazon are the usual places to buy ammonia in the UK.

that's not totally correct. most places that sell marine fish sell bottles of ammonia

Where I live, there are very few shops that sell marine fish, I would have to search hard to find them.

You reckon a pet store will sell ammonia in a bottle
I got the Dr Tim's ammonia I started my cycle last Monday and it's been the same level throw the week at 2ppm is that alright or do I add more ammonia

Use the Dr Tim's ammonia and follow this method

It can take a while to show a drop in ammonia; mine took over 3 weeks and a total of 7 weeks to complete.

It's day 13 and my ammonia been the same for past 8 to 10 days around 2ppm or a bit higher and there no sign of of nitrite , I'm just wondering I'm doing anything wrong If my ammonia been the same for that long I don't wanna put more ammonia just so I don't over dose it

When I did a fishless cycle a few years ago it took over three weeks for ammonia to drop.

You could try using Tetra Safe Start to speed things up.

Most reactions

trending

Back