Cumberland Slider

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JDWolf

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My local pet shop has some Cumberland Sliders and my wife has fallen in love with them, but before i let her get any im after a bit of info about them. Anyone got any info on them, i.e. what they eat, how big they grow, gallons per slider, do they live in freshwater, etc. I at least know they need access to air and a place to sunbath.

I assume that they would not be good tank mates for fish, i expect even fish the size of Golden Gouramis would not suitable good tank mates.

thanks for any info you can give

My local pet shop has some Cumberland Sliders and my wife has fallen in love with them, but before i let her get any im after a bit of info about them. Anyone got any info on them, i.e. what they eat, how big they grow, gallons per slider, do they live in freshwater, etc. I at least know they need access to air and a place to sunbath.

I assume that they would not be good tank mates for fish, i expect even fish the size of Golden Gouramis would not suitable good tank mates.

thanks for any info you can give

theyre freshwater turtles....

go to turtleforum.com and check up on the caresheets. Expect sliders to get large, about dinner plate size- 12" -ish

My LFS has some baby Slider Turtles (i'm not sure which species but from what i've read they all seem grow to a similar size) that are about 2 inches across, but they also have a set up for 2 adult ones and a sign saying don't buy the turtles if you can't have a tank this big.

The big display tank is approx 2m by 1m and houses 2 adult sliders, approx 1/3 is land with a basking light. It does look good but thats a lot of room!

Edit: Nearly forgot they haven't got any tank mates either.

Thanks for the replies, did some seraching yesterday and found a few bits and piece. Dont think i can afford a tank big enough for them.

the pet store they are in also sell what they call 'ideal' starter tank for them. Its only a 2 foot tank and they never mention anywhere how big they grow. They dont seem to be a very good pet store!

Thanks for the replies, did some seraching yesterday and found a few bits and piece. Dont think i can afford a tank big enough for them.

the pet store they are in also sell what they call 'ideal' starter tank for them. Its only a 2 foot tank and they never mention anywhere how big they grow. They dont seem to be a very good pet store!

This is common, pet stores just want to make a sale.

You could look into small species like muds & musks. They're shallow water and usually go no bigger than 5"

i have 1 male cumberland slider. he will not grow any bigger, will he grow bigger??????? :S

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back