Critique My Aquascape!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cooledwhip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I am pretty much finished with my 45 gallon tall. It has some nice sand as well as rocks and some driftwood that I ordered online. I want to fill it soon but I want people to critique it and give some suggestions on where to move stuff or if I should add/remove anything. I ordered lots of mosses, some anubias and java fern that I am waiting on. They should be in by next week. I am planning on filling the tank the day I get the plants in though. 

Are the two pieces of driftwood I have placed well? I am not too sure about the piece on the right.

Idk if I should remove the pile of rocks under the main piece of driftwood.

Also how should I secure these to the rocks? 

Here are the pictures of the tank: http://imgur.com/a/6rlNh

I can imagine a tank that shape is quite hard to aquascape. I like what you've done though. Are you planting it aswell? If you are I'd consider adding some java moss to the branch to make it more natural looking :)

It was pretty hard thank you. Yes it will be planted, heavily planted.

I bought lots of flame moss and java fern, anubias, etc.

I like what you've done with the driftwood. Everything looks very natural.  Can't wait to see it with some life!  As far as aquascaping goes, it looks very balanced so far.  Is it in a corner right now?

It's fantastic! 
good.gif

Thanks. The driftwood was a bit of a challenge. I did actually switch it up a smaller bit, I moved the smaller piece to the right a bit more. It flows better. I will show pictures more when it is filled up and with plants. (probably by next wednesday)

So far I love it, Anubias is great, and easy to attach to stuff ( I use a drop of super-glue ).

More photos please.

Ok guys I actually changed up rock placement a while ago. I'll upload some pics later, (most likely on monday or tuesday when its filled tho). Much better in my opinion. I will be planting and filling most likely monday or tuesday.

Ok guys I got the plants today actually so I planted and filled it up!! It's pretty ugly right now as the water is all murky (first fill, its normal).

The filter I had also decided to break. I don't know if it broke after plugged it in or what, but all of a sudden I heard a churning sound and then nothing. The propeller broke so I had to buy a replacement part,

Looks like I'll have A$$ water until sunday. Theres about a mm of grime on the top.

the pics, ladies and gentlemen http://imgur.com/a/jplUn

what is needs now is a black background. That way the filter intake will 'disappear' and the colour of the plants will 'pop' :)

Akasha72 said:
what is needs now is a black background. That way the filter intake will 'disappear' and the colour of the plants will 'pop'
smile.png
I agreed. I originally planned for a black background but the plants came so soon.

Where can I get a deep, thick black background? Or what material should I use**?

you can buy plain black backgrounds from most aquarium stores. You can also use acrylic paint. You'll need to do at least two coats, allowing the first to completely dry before doing the second. If you use a sponge roller (the type you buy in DIY stores for radiators) and do the first coat left to right and the second coat top to bottom it gives the best coverage. I've not done it myself but I've watched it done on youtube. 

If you have a look here  http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/441420-yet-another-tank-journal-by-ch4rlie/  Ch4rlie has just done it on his latest tank and the effect is great

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back