Crazy Stories Thread

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Not a crazy story, just tripped over the hose during a water changeā€¦then split my finger crotch (what else am I supposed to call it ;)) on the stand. You canā€™t see it, but a flap of skin got cut open and off
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Like a paper cut x100

Iā€™ve posted this before somewhere, but I figured I would do it again.

So for all of those in the US, Iā€™m sure you have seen or played on a McDonalds play place. I was 12 years old I think and was as ambitious as ever. So you know how all the metal pipes are wrapped in that foam to prevent injury? And that the thin black net is attached to that? Well there was this low opening to this bigger play place, and I decided to be cool and swing under it. Wellā€¦ the rope apparently caught my finger right above the joint, and completely snapped the bone. I didnā€™t even feel it until some kid told me I was bleeding, and then I looked down at my finger. I was rather calm, and remember running up to my mom and asking ā€œis that the bone!??ā€. She then proceeded to freak out while all the other homeschool moms at the ā€˜meetingā€™ were also freaking out.

Hereā€™s the xray
857A26C2-A77C-44E8-ACE2-DB9BD40D1B07.jpeg

And here are the bloody photos for those brave enough. I put them as a spoiler just in case there are some people who canā€™t stand blood
4F46FD9E-8C9E-4A39-858F-181A23C93A8D.png
F2973CC0-761A-4B9F-A98C-BDE6696EA606.png

ā€”ā€”

Iā€™m very lucky I only broke one finger, because all my other fingers were severely bruised, which means they were very close to breaking. It was also the beginning of baseball season, so I had to sit out all season.

Iā€™ve posted this before somewhere, but I figured I would do it again.

So for all of those in the US, Iā€™m sure you have seen or played on a McDonalds play place. I was 12 years old I think and was as ambitious as ever. So you know how all the metal pipes are wrapped in that foam to prevent injury? And that the thin black net is attached to that? Well there was this low opening to this bigger play place, and I decided to be cool and swing under it. Wellā€¦ the rope apparently caught my finger right above the joint, and completely snapped the bone. I didnā€™t even feel it until some kid told me I was bleeding, and then I looked down at my finger. I was rather calm, and remember running up to my mom and asking ā€œis that the bone!??ā€. She then proceeded to freak out while all the other homeschool moms at the ā€˜meetingā€™ were also freaking out.

Hereā€™s the xray
View attachment 155366

And here are the bloody photos for those brave enough. I put them as a spoiler just in case there are some people who canā€™t stand blood

ā€”ā€”

Iā€™m very lucky I only broke one finger, because all my other fingers were severely bruised, which means they were very close to breaking. It was also the beginning of baseball season, so I had to sit out all season.
Pain.

Well on that finger disasters, was removing a drive coupling from a machine with a work mate. After a bit of miscommunication he missed the coupling and instead hit me a little, luckily wearing impact resistant gloves so got off lightly with a few broken and burst bits.

not going to lie it stung a bit šŸ˜‚

fingers vs hammer.
FB5DE2FF-D3AC-46E3-AA3D-B07790148001.jpeg

One time when I was in kindergarten my friend was rushing down the hallway along with a staff member and I got concerned... So I asked if he was ok and the staff member said that he accidentally cut his tongue to the edge and it was hanging... Thats when I saw the really bloody towel on his mouth and immediately asked if I.could help but the staff member said I should go back to class and he would be ok... I forget what happened after that

Sitting in the classroom one day in elementary school. Heard a strange, panicked whining sound from the back of the classroom. Remember the old fashioned metal pencil sharpeners that gripped the pencil? Kid named Brian had gotten his lip stuck in one somehow, and needed to be extricated.
Years later, in high school, I had a class with Brian. He sat in front of me. Our desks were the all in one, where the chair was attached to the desk. Brian used to lean back, raising the front of his desk, so that his seat back rested against the front of my desk. Every day. It annoyed the snot out of me. I think you all know what I did next. In between his lifts, I scooted my desk back just a couple of inches. Next time Brian leaned back, it was a good one- the desk, Brian, and his books and stuff, all hit the floor with a crash, seemingly for no reason. It was nice having the entire class staring at someone besides me, for a change.

Sitting in the classroom one day in elementary school. Heard a strange, panicked whining sound from the back of the classroom. Remember the old fashioned metal pencil sharpeners that gripped the pencil? Kid named Brian had gotten his lip stuck in one somehow, and needed to be extricated.
Years later, in high school, I had a class with Brian. He sat in front of me. Our desks were the all in one, where the chair was attached to the desk. Brian used to lean back, raising the front of his desk, so that his seat back rested against the front of my desk. Every day. It annoyed the snot out of me. I think you all know what I did next. In between his lifts, I scooted my desk back just a couple of inches. Next time Brian leaned back, it was a good one- the desk, Brian, and his books and stuff, all hit the floor with a crash, seemingly for no reason. It was nice having the entire class staring at someone besides me, for a change.
Just out of curiosity... How in the universe does your lip get caught up in a pencil sharpener unless you are literally trying to

Just out of curiosity... How in the universe does your lip get caught up in a pencil sharpener unless you are literally trying to
I think you answered your own question, there. You've obviously not spent much time with elementary boys...

I think you answered your own question, there. You've obviously not spent much time with elementary boys...
I was in public school for all the elementary grades... But like, ive never seen anyone shove their lip in a pencil sharpener... Although my friend cut half his tongue with scissors...

OK, since we're doing cringe-worthy finger stories... (or are we on to lip stories now???)

The spring of my first year of teaching. 96 or 97, somewhere in there. Ten Sleep, Wyoming. Things were a little stressful at school, so decided to drive up the mountain for a little camping. I was pretty minimalist back then: A tarp, some matches, a can of beef stew, a knife, a blanket, and a warm jacket. After wandering around the canyon for a few hours, climbing boulders, catching fish, observing spiders, and such, I got tired and decided to make camp. I found a good spot, lit a fire, and put my can of food on the edge to warm up. While laying out my bedroll, I realized I'd forgotten to bring my spoon. So, I grabbed a slat of splintered firewood and started whittling a spoon.

Well, I was pretty tired by then, and it was starting to get dark, and my knife wasn't very sharp. Not a recipe for good things to happen. I was cutting toward my off-hand (duh) when suddenly the dull blade broke through the thin wood and cut into the underside of my right index finger (I'm left handed). I felt it grate against the bone. I instinctively folded my finger up. The first thing that scared me was that it didn't hurt. Isn't it supposed to hurt? Second thing that scared me was when I uncurled the finger to survey the damage, and saw the bone. How often do you get to see your own finger bones? New experiences = Richer life. Yay.

Well, I kicked a bucket of water over onto the fire, one-armed everything into the back of my pickup, and drove back to town. Ever tried driving a stick-shift down a windy mountain road with one arm? It was a night full of new experiences. Yay. I got back to town and walked over to my neighbor's to ask if they had a first aid kit. (I was just out of college and had nothing) He took a quick look and insisted on driving me to the hospital in Worland, 30 miles away. I wanted to drive myself, because I was an idiot, but fortunately his good sense prevailed.

The surgeon at the Worland hospital took one look at my hand and said it was over his head. Turns out I had cut through the flexor tendons, the sensory nerves, and an artery which fortunately squished back together when I curled up my finger. They stitched it up enough so it would quit bleeding, and the next day my dad drove me up to Billings, Montana, to an orthopaedic surgeon. He told me that usually, they just fuse the outer joint on fingers so badly damaged. I told him I was a musician and needed my fingers to move, and he said, "OK, but it's going to hurt."

Well, after 3 hours of surgery and several months of self-administered physical therapy, I regained about 50% of the mobility in my finger. (It's still only about 60%, good enough to play my instruments) After about ten years, the feeling gradually started coming back as the nerves regenerated. I will always have a stiff finger and a really nifty scar, but all is well.

The moral of the story, my children, is this: If you're going to be stupid with a knife while solo camping, don't drive a stick shift.

OK, since we're doing cringe-worthy finger stories... (or are we on to lip stories now???)

The spring of my first year of teaching. 96 or 97, somewhere in there. Ten Sleep, Wyoming. Things were a little stressful at school, so decided to drive up the mountain for a little camping. I was pretty minimalist back then: A tarp, some matches, a can of beef stew, a knife, a blanket, and a warm jacket. After wandering around the canyon for a few hours, climbing boulders, catching fish, observing spiders, and such, I got tired and decided to make camp. I found a good spot, lit a fire, and put my can of food on the edge to warm up. While laying out my bedroll, I realized I'd forgotten to bring my spoon. So, I grabbed a slat of splintered firewood and started whittling a spoon.

Well, I was pretty tired by then, and it was starting to get dark, and my knife wasn't very sharp. Not a recipe for good things to happen. I was cutting toward my off-hand (duh) when suddenly the dull blade broke through the thin wood and cut into the underside of my right index finger (I'm left handed). I felt it grate against the bone. I instinctively folded my finger up. The first thing that scared me was that it didn't hurt. Isn't it supposed to hurt? Second thing that scared me was when I uncurled the finger to survey the damage, and saw the bone. How often do you get to see your own finger bones? New experiences = Richer life. Yay.

Well, I kicked a bucket of water over onto the fire, one-armed everything into the back of my pickup, and drove back to town. Ever tried driving a stick-shift down a windy mountain road with one arm? It was a night full of new experiences. Yay. I got back to town and walked over to my neighbor's to ask if they had a first aid kit. (I was just out of college and had nothing) He took a quick look and insisted on driving me to the hospital in Worland, 30 miles away. I wanted to drive myself, because I was an idiot, but fortunately his good sense prevailed.

The surgeon at the Worland hospital took one look at my hand and said it was over his head. Turns out I had cut through the flexor tendons, the sensory nerves, and an artery which fortunately squished back together when I curled up my finger. They stitched it up enough so it would quit bleeding, and the next day my dad drove me up to Billings, Montana, to an orthopaedic surgeon. He told me that usually, they just fuse the outer joint on fingers so badly damaged. I told him I was a musician and needed my fingers to move, and he said, "OK, but it's going to hurt."

Well, after 3 hours of surgery and several months of self-administered physical therapy, I regained about 50% of the mobility in my finger. (It's still only about 60%, good enough to play my instruments) After about ten years, the feeling gradually started coming back as the nerves regenerated. I will always have a stiff finger and a really nifty scar, but all is well.

The moral of the story, my children, is this: If you're going to be stupid with a knife while solo camping, don't drive a stick shift.
I'm left handed as well... That just sounded painful and a very interesting experience... This is another knife story but not as bad as Badger's...

My dad gave me a knife with my name in it so I was really happy... I was messing with it properly, not playing with it or running around, I was responsible... I started widdling a piece of wood cause I wanted to use my knife and what else is there to use it on?... Well then I noticed that the back of the blade had a lot of wood dust on there and I wiped my finger across it to clean it... Yah it wasnt the back of the blade šŸ˜…... I looked at my thumb which was really bloody and had a good size incision on it... It stung due to that wood dust that was on the blade but i rinsed it and put a bandage on it...

The moral of this story: always use a shirt or something other than yourself to clean what you think to be the back of a blade

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back