Crazy Stories Thread

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The suckers on my filter had died and the filter wouldn't stay stuck to the glass. So during a water change I emptied the old water and took the filter bracket into the garden to change the suckers. The old ones wouldn't budge. OK, so I'll have to cut them off with a Stanley knife. The first one was fine, the second one, the knife slipped into my finger. That did hurt, unlike WhistlingBadger. I was half way through a water change and I still needed to remove the third sucker, which I did with a blood soaked tissue wrapped round my finger. I refilled the tank with a freezer bag sellotaped on to my hand. By this time, the bleeding had subsided a lot so I wrapped it as best as I could with wound dressing fabric. Next day I went to the pharmacy to see if they had any finger shaped dressings; the pharmacist asked to look at my finger and told me to go to Urgent Care. If I had gone as soon as I'd done it, they could have glued the edges together, but as it was next day I had the edges held together with steri strips, wound dressing on top and one of those finger tubes over that. And a course of antibiotics. I had to go several times to have it redressed. I have an interesting fingerprint now as the edges weren't quite aligned as they were before.
The moral is - wait till after you've finished the water change to mess around with sharp knives.

This is the finger when the dressing finally came off 2 weeks later
finger.JPG

The suckers on my filter had died and the filter wouldn't stay stuck to the glass. So during a water change I emptied the old water and took the filter bracket into the garden to change the suckers. The old ones wouldn't budge. OK, so I'll have to cut them off with a Stanley knife. The first one was fine, the second one, the knife slipped into my finger. That did hurt, unlike WhistlingBadger. I was half way through a water change and I still needed to remove the third sucker, which I did with a blood soaked tissue wrapped round my finger. I refilled the tank with a freezer bag sellotaped on to my hand. By this time, the bleeding had subsided a lot so I wrapped it as best as I could with wound dressing fabric. Next day I went to the pharmacy to see if they had any finger shaped dressings; the pharmacist asked to look at my finger and told me to go to Urgent Care. If I had gone as soon as I'd done it, they could have glued the edges together, but as it was next day I had the edges held together with steri strips, wound dressing on top and one of those finger tubes over that. And a course of antibiotics. I had to go several times to have it redressed. I have an interesting fingerprint now as the edges weren't quite aligned as they were before.
The moral is - wait till after you've finished the water change to mess around with sharp knives.

This is the finger when the dressing finally came off 2 weeks later
Wow! Seems very painful! Did the tank water get any blood in there? Also I'm glad you didnt get a bad infection from the tank water... Who knows what strange microorganisms are in the water...

Maybe a very tiny amount. My hands were wet when I took the filter bracket out of the tank but they'd dried outside when I was cutting the first sucker off. The first thing I did was wash my hands with anti-bac soap so if any tank water got in it was a very tiny amount. Not to mention the amount of blood flowing out probably washed it clean.

Maybe a very tiny amount. My hands were wet when I took the filter bracket out of the tank but they'd dried outside when I was cutting the first sucker off. The first thing I did was wash my hands with anti-bac soap so if any tank water got in it was a very tiny amount. Not to mention the amount of blood flowing out probably washed it clean.
That's why blood rushes out... Studies have shown the blood cleanses the wound as it comes out... I forget where I saw it though but I do know that it was a reliable source

My dad used to always tell us we shouldn't get scared if a wound is bleeding; the ones that don't bleed are the ones you have to worry about. I was wondering if Essjay's fish went into a feeding frenzy or anything when they smelt blood in the water.

I didn't get any blood in the water this time. I cut my finger outdoors and I had a freezer bag secured over my hand when I went near the tank. The staff at Urgent Care were more concerned that I'd got dirt in the cut and needed a tetanus shot since it was outdoors. But when I said I was sitting on the paved area next to the house not on the lawn, they were satisfied I didn't need it.

However, I have cut my hands a couple of times during a water change, once on the edge of a reflector when I had fluorescent lights, and once on the bracket holding the LED tube in place. My blood dripped into the tank on both those occasions - and all the fish ignored it.

Last Friday my family and I were sitting in front of the fire enjoying the evening.

I put a large cardboard box in the fireplace and watched it burn. It started on fire and the flames were going pretty high up the chimney. I moved the cardboard a bit to bring the flames down a bit. Then I went over to the piano to play for a bit. I started smelling a weird smell and wondered what it was. We also started hearing a loud roaring sound. I went outside and looked at the chimney. Flames were coming out of the chimney and scattering sparks all over the roof of our house.

My mom immediately googled how to put out a chimney fire and we got it out within 10 minutes. The house smelled like smoke for a few hours but at least the house didn't burn down :)

That was a relaxing evening 🤣🤣

I was in the Garden State after blindly teleporting myself, practicing for my new carreer as Santa Claus when all of a sudden, the chimney I was in flared up and roasted my ... well, because I teleported I don't know where on the map the Garden State is, but it isn't a good place to go for Santa training.

I was in the Garden State after blindly teleporting myself, practicing for my new carreer as Santa Claus when all of a sudden, the chimney I was in flared up and roasted my ... well, because I teleported I don't know where on the map the Garden State is, but it isn't a good place to go for Santa training.
maybe thats the roaring sound i heard?

Glad you and the house are OK, Connor. I used to have a neighbor who intentionally started a chimney fire every few years because he was too cheap to hire a chimney sweep. He'd put a bunch of fast-burning stuff (paper, cardboard, pine kindling, that sort of thing) in the wood stove, fire it up, and stand outside with a hose to put out any sparks that landed on the roof or in the hay field.

I admire the do-it-yourself spirit, but this might be taking it a bit far.

Glad you and the house are OK, Connor. I used to have a neighbor who intentionally started a chimney fire every few years because he was too cheap to hire a chimney sweep. He'd put a bunch of fast-burning stuff (paper, cardboard, pine kindling, that sort of thing) in the wood stove, fire it up, and stand outside with a hose to put out any sparks that landed on the roof or in the hay field.

I admire the do-it-yourself spirit, but this might be taking it a bit far.
That's crazy! We decided not to have any more fires till we get it cleaned. We might just follow your neighbors technique ;-) 😂😂

That's crazy! We decided not to have any more fires till we get it cleaned. We might just follow your neighbors technique ;-) 😂😂
Probably not necessary. It's probably quite clean now! ha ha But yeah, get it checked anyway.

Our new place has a pellet stove, and I got a tech in right away to evaluate it. I've seen a few chimney fires, as a lot of people around here use wood.

Meanwhile, I have given myself a few good hand slices working with tanks. Glass is glass. Fingers are fingers. I used to work in a factory where I was the only guy on shift with all my fingers, and it made me aware. But even aware, I've managed a small scar or two.

You guys 🥴😵🤢😭 you've all freaked me out withbyour crazy slicing and dicing, breaking and smashing 😷 too many cringe! Bring that weird Keith guy back or tell me something less bloody and disjointed please!

You guys 🥴😵🤢😭 you've all freaked me out withbyour crazy slicing and dicing, breaking and smashing 😷 too many cringe! Bring that weird Keith guy back or tell me something less bloody and disjointed please!
Once upon a time, there was a happy place. And in that happy place, there lived many happy people. And everyday, they got up and did happy things. They hardly ever broke things or cut themselves or set things on fire. Except sometimes they set logs on fire, in a responsible, carefully controlled manner, to keep themselves warm. Warmth is happy.

The End

Better?

Most reactions

trending

Back