crabs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The only easy answer I can give is: Probably not.

For one, many crabs require areas out of the water to be happy, so this is something to consider. But the biggest issue is that often crabs will eat just about anything they can get their claws on. That includes any fish that may wander within reach, or any fish that is slow enough and/or sleeping to get caught. Sometimes there are no problems, but its never a sure thing. Personally I'd either skip the crabs, or set up their own little tank to be safe.

\Dan

Red Clawed Crabs are entirely aquatic, they don't need any land area. They're fine with top dwelling fish, but I wouldn't put cories in with them. I had one in with a betta, and the only time the crab got upset was when the betta would swim down and bump into him. I can only imagine what would happen to those poor cories bumping into the crab, because I know my cories don't pay a bit of attention to where they're going.

not needing any land above water is debatible!!

i have 4 crabs in a 10UK 10 gallon 3/4 filled with plenty of area above water and there's very often 2 crabs hangin aorund on there.

my theory is that when you don't give them out of water area they try to escape when given the land they don't, i don't have a particularly great fitting lid and never had 1 run away.

where as all the time you hear thsat crabs have climbed out and i'm assuming these people don't give them land.

I agree with Paul v Biker.

I havejust got a few Red Clawed Crabs and got them from a lfs that had them entirely under water.

When I put them in my tank, I have a large piece of bogwood that sticks out of top of the water slightly - crabs were grappling with each other to get to these high points. One took up residence just out of the water behind the top of the heater under the rim of the tank - had to be careful each time I opened the lid!

I've just had to redo the tank (as I had a crack in my previous one) and lowered the water level to allow lots of room and ability to get out of the water onto rocks/bogwood etc - because they can, they don't really seem to want to now!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back