Covering Over Artex

sarah86

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i dont know where else to post this so please mods feel free to move it somewhere else if needed.
unfortuantly every room in our house has artexed ceilings and i hate the stuff. i really want to get rid of it but to do the whole house (granted its only a small house) would cost a fair amount of money. i have read about alternatives such as polycell covertex which apparently you apply with a roller then just smooth over. has anyone got any experience of this type of thing? i would have a go at plastering myself but it'd probably be crap and even though the artex isnt nice to look at i would imagine my plastering would be alot worse! :rolleyes:
any tips anyone??

hiya, whereabouts are you? If you do decide you want to DIY plaster then my OH is a qualified plasterer so he'd be happy to give you tips! You can get all you need at B & Q

i have removed artex with a steam wallpaper stripper be for to day just use it the same way as you would doing wall paper it go's soft then with a scraper take of gently

ps i hate artex it makes me :sick:

good luck biff

oh, how old is the house? Some Artex has asbestos in it (something i found out from OH) usually if it was built in the 1960s-70s

Artex is mank, don't know why people ever thought it looked good lol!! :D

I sympathise, have you considered plasterboarding over the artex and then just skimming the edges/joints with fine filler, should then be able to paint over it. Cheaper than re-plastering and safer than the risk of asbestos as alessasavoca has quite rightly pointed out is in some older types of artex. All you would need to do is locate your joists for screwing the boards up to.

I hate artex with a passion!!!

me too that's why i said take it off with a steam stripper as it go's all soggy and with it been wet no dust

You make an excellent point about the steam stopping dust, I should have thought of that. Sounds like hard work though?

no its not to bad just a Tadd messy once you have scraped it all off just wash off with warm water after leave to dry and sand with fine grit paint over with one of them really thick paints like dulux once bingo job done might take a day or two but worth it in the end

hiya, whereabouts are you? If you do decide you want to DIY plaster then my OH is a qualified plasterer so he'd be happy to give you tips! You can get all you need at B & Q

we're in birmingham, anyone know any reliable plasteres in the area who wont charge a fortune?

we did consider using a steamer but it seems like a tedious job when we have the whole house to do

we also considered using plaster boards but again this could get tricky.

the house was but in the 80's so hopefully no risk of asbestos

i think some sort of plaster or other cover up will be the best option. just wish they hadnt put it in every room!

Dulux and a few of the paint companies now made an artex cover-up paint. We are getting it for our 1889 house that someone thought would look nice with artex ceilings.

Most reactions

Back