Could a dream come true?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
You probably know but the fish don't need a light.

But there will be other things you need for the fish.
If you're old enough, could you get a part time job?

It might not be a perfect fit (the lighting) but it doesn't have to be. Get creative and make it work for you. I mean I hung my two huge lights from projector mounts. Cost me a whole whopping $18 for the pair and a couple zip ties. Make a cheap bracket, suspend your light, whatever you need to make it work. Solutions don't need to break the bank, and if the lighting was all that was holding you back on getting your tank, I would MacGyver the crap out of it.
I have that same light on my saltwater tank, it’s pretty good.

I have that same light on my saltwater tank, it’s pretty good.
The price was good too. I agonized over lighting because this particular tank is deep. What I use for the others simply wouldn't work. They are great, everything I grow in this setup grows very well. No complaints here.

I would see if they’d let you buy it and store it. Deals like that don’t come around too often! If you decide you don’t want to use it, resell it for the same price or haul it to the dump… it would be worth $25 not to lose the opportunity.

I think I am going to pass 😔... It sucks but I think its the responsible thing to do at this moment in time

Will an Aquaclear 30 be ok on a 45g aquarium?? I ask cause I wouldnt be able to get an aquaclear 50 or whatever for a while and also this filter is matured a bit so it will insta-cycle the tank along with the rocks, sand, and plants

Also, could a fluval series M 100w heat a 45g? I ask cause with no heater in my aquarium I have now, its only about 70°F and I like to keep my tank at a 77°F-78°F

To make dreams come true, if they aren't gigantic, world changing ones, your magical ally is the time fairy. It's tough to be of the age where you know what you want to do and how you might want to do it, but you don't yet have the ways to earn the money to make small dreams come true.

Where I am, you can get a part-time working with the public job at the magical age of 16. It's that 13 to 16 age where you can figure out things, in every detail but where to get the cash. There was no money for luxuries like fishtanks til I could work in my family - my parents were probably like yours are - generous but stuck in a situation.

I was lucky in that people gave me leaky old fishtanks, and they could be fixed. But they were small and as low tech as you can imagine.

The problem is that once the time fairy's on your side, he/she/it never lets up, and gets more and more generous with speeding things up as time passes. So maybe enjoy that period of life before you go out to work, and slide some of those aquarium ambitions a short couple of years into the future. Now is the time to read about fish and tanks, so you can be ready when possibilities become independent choices.

If you can swing it though - I had scrap glass from old windown for covers - lights sitting on them, homemade filters, the DIY works. Actually, I bought custom cut covers for my killie tanks 2 weeks ago - the first time I've had that in decades. If you were in this part of the planet I could offer you some scrap glass 'cut by me' covers!

Run Grasshopper ! Run like the wind and get it. You can't beat that deal with a big stick. Even if you don't set it up right away you have to get it. Even if it does leak like @Slaphppy7 says it's a real simple matter to reseal it. You need to have that skill anyway. Run ! Run I say.

I would put an air operated sponge filter as well the aquaclear filter. They are very inexpensive. But you will need an air pump to connect to the sponge filter.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back