Corydoras or Kuhli Loaches?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The nitrate helps me with plants a lot too, when you mentioned the floating plants I instantly thought about Salvinia, from what I have heard is that Salvinia takes up ammonia too, since my tank is fully cycled, I'm having 0ppm of ammonia constantly, just nitrates too high, but they'll get sucked up by plants in and act as a natural fertiliser for them. I agree on this stuff with you, including the filter part.

Plants do not take up much nitrate, at least not those in low-tech or natural method planted tanks. Most aquarium plant species prefer ammonium as their source of nitrogen, and they can usually assimilate most all of it provided the system is in balance. Nitrate is only taken up when ammonia/ammonium is insufficient (in balance with light and the other nutrients), and this is because the plants must use energy to change the nitrate back into ammonium. Plants don't waste energy like this unless absolutely essential. There is actually some evidence that after ammonium they would prefer nitrite before nitrate, but this aspect has not been well studied. But it is their uptake of ammonia/ammonium that is the benefit.

Floating plants take up ammonia/ammonium very rapidly, which is why they are often referred to as "ammonia sinks." This is because floating plants have the aerial advantage when it comes to CO2. Submersed plants take up CO2 via their leaves, but floating plants with leaves on the surface or sometimes above it are able to assimilate CO2 from the air. Air assimilation is about four times faster than submersed assimilation for plants, and as CO2 is one macro-nutrient that is taken up in such quantities that it becomes depleted usually before other nutrients, it is easy to understand why floating plants are such rapid growers. Being closer to the overhead light, they also have a faster rate of photosynthesis, since photosynthesis is driven by light intensity (and spectrum), so the plentiful CO2 fuels this.

They look like a rocket going up. Lol!
I've made a lid like this (is it good?) :

image.jpg

The gaps are just covered in the foil, I'll also stick edges of the foil to the tank with Bluetack lol.
I don't have anything else :|

:( bullies suck. For real. I'm sorry
They do the s word.. :( Once in my geography class, some bullies started throwing pieces of rubber and broken rulers at me, and we had a supply teacher who totally ignored everything... She ignored me being hit with a rubber in my ear, which was so painful too..
So I left the class and didn't come back there.

To me kuhlis are water noodles and corydoras are mini submarines lol.

I think the lid will be fine... Admittedly my aquarium "lid" is just a flimsy plastic mat thingy from dollar tree :oops:
Kuhlis are danger noodles :lol:

I saw my cherry shrimp crawling out of water, I'm scared about evolution going in my tank and that I would have to make a terrarium for them :eek:

Couple of questions... What do I feed them from commercial foods? Will they eat veggies?
What kind of cories am I able to put in? Water hardness is posted below, and could someone list my pH, KH and GH from what my water provider says?

E2BAECB2-073B-4D0D-AC62-34580618735B.png

Is my water hardness also suitable for mollies?

The GH is listed in several units, the hobby uses ppm (parts per million which is equivalent to mg/l) and dH (degrees German or degrees GH). So 253 ppm or 15 dGH, which is fairly hard water. This is ideal for mollies and all livebearers. Some basically soft water species may manage, some will not, it depends upon the species.

Most Corydoras species will find this GH problematic, but the species like Corydoras aeneus and C. paleatus should manage.

The food questions I assume refer to cories. No vegetables, this is harmful to their digestive tract. Cories naturally feed primarily on insect larvae, worms (to a lesser extent), small crustaceans. Fluval Bug Bites is ideal food. Almost any fish will eat these. Shrimp pellets, and Omega One is one of the best brands for these. Frozen daphnia. Frozen bloodworms but no more often than once a week. Frozen brine shrimp.

Thank you @Byron , so if my water is suitable for mollies then they are sick.
Corydoras aeneus should manage..
If I'll want to feed my livebearers some veggies that I leave on the bottom for shrimp and my pleco, how would I do this without cories getting a nibble?

Thank you @Byron , so if my water is suitable for mollies then they are sick.
Corydoras aeneus should manage..
If I'll want to feed my livebearers some veggies that I leave on the bottom for shrimp and my pleco, how would I do this without cories getting a nibble?

The GH is fine for mollies, and I would assume the pH (which is not mentioned) is above 7 so that is fine. No mention has been made previously of sick mollies...???

Cories are not likely to go after fresh vegetables. What is the pleco species?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back