Corydoras Mating

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BaylorPerez

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So, just noticed my adult female cory and one of my adult male corys doing the mating dance( ritual or whatever you want to call it ), when the cory gets pregant how would i be able to tell if it is or just bloated ( as i havent seen corys get pregnant yet ).

And for the eggs, would it be safe to put them in a breeder(seperate area) of the tank where the adults and snails dont eat the eggs? or are they safe within the tank gravel(plant substrate) until they hatch to make new baby corys?

The female wont get pregnant, but she will fill with eggs. Once the male and female are fully condtioned (ie given a nice variety of protien foods even live foods like bloodworms) the male will chase the female and try to "T" position in front of her. She will reslease the eggs into her pelvic fins which she makes into a cup shape in order to hold the eggs. She will direct the males sperm into this cup with the eggs and then proceed to clean a section of glass of leaf of a plant and plaster the eggs onto her chosen place.
If you don't want to raise the babies then leaving the eggs in place will almost certainly end up with the eggs being eaten by either the parents, other catfish or other tank inhabitants.In a heavily planted tank it is completely possible for the eggs to survive and hatch and grow with no interference from you. If how ever you want to raise the fry you are best having an egg tumbler and carefully scrape the eggs off where the female put them and transfer them to the egg tumbler.
I have had good luck with placing the eggs in a suspended net/ fry saver and placing it near the filter return so that the eggs get good water movement around them. I also usually add some java moss to the net since it will usually have a good amount of biofilm in it that is perfect first food for tiny fry.

So i should keep an eye out for the eggs, as these will be vulnerable to the attacks of the mother and father ( and other Corys/snails ) 

Most reactions

trending

Back