coryadora pygmaeus

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
frozen foods that are cut up a bit with a pair of scissors.
white worms, grindal worms, micro worms
bottom feeding pellets.

FINALLY got some.
What to feed?
Tips?
Mine eat the smaller particles of flake foods and appear partial to frozen cyclops and daphnia...they'll also take live daphnia and commercially grown black and tubifex worm. Bloodworm seem to be a little on the large size, but they will have a go.

Sand. Is it me or does it get dirty?
Fish poop and that poop will fall on the sand.
Sand doesn't clean itself and, as it's usually a pale colouration and too dense for waste to simply disappear, (as it might appear to do in gravels), you will need to clean it on occasion. The trick is to lightly drag your syphon pipe over the surface and then suck up any problematic waste.

Mine eat the smaller particles of flake foods and appear partial to frozen cyclops and daphnia...they'll also take live daphnia and commercially grown black and tubifex worm. Bloodworm seem to be a little on the large size, but they will have a go.

Fish poop and that poop will fall on the sand.
Sand doesn't clean itself and, as it's usually a pale colouration and too dense for waste to simply disappear, (as it might appear to do in gravels), you will need to clean it on occasion. The trick is to lightly drag your syphon pipe over the surface and then suck up any problematic waste.
I think I will get a smaller syphon. Since I haven't had them very long I am not sure of their feeding habits. When I prime the syphon it spits sand everywhere and then I'm also worried about the gas pockets, so I keep poking at it, etc...
I'm getting some plant wiltings, too, that contribute to the stuff on the surface.
I need to figure out the best plants.
I'll just have to keep at it. I love them so.
Thx

I think I will get a smaller syphon. Since I haven't had them very long I am not sure of their feeding habits. When I prime the syphon it spits sand everywhere and then I'm also worried about the gas pockets, so I keep poking at it, etc...
I'm getting some plant wiltings, too, that contribute to the stuff on the surface.
I need to figure out the best plants.
I'll just have to keep at it. I love them so.
Thx
'Poking at it' is a bit of a 'must', so well spotted. I'm actually using a Cake Tester to release some gas bubbles.
My syphoning technique is simply a pipe and bucket, with a digit over each end of the pipe.
Unlike most cory species, the pygmies don't seem to 'need' the sand substrate so much. Mine spend most of their time anywhere but the purpose-built beach I made them. In particular, they seem to enjoy grazing leaves for any infusoria and algae.

I use my turkey basters to sand puff & poke...they also remove detritus from sand easier than using the syphon hoover. I give the sand on all my aquariums a good puff and poke each water change with the besters...it did confuse the fish at first but now they just watch the bubbles, check the now nice clean sand and go make a mess with it again ;)

FINALLY got some.
What to feed?
Tips?
🤸🏻‍♀️🤸🏻‍♀️🤸🏻‍♀️🤸🏻‍♀️🤸🏻‍♀️🤸🏻‍♀️🤸🏻‍♀️🤩

Corydoras naturally feed primarily on insects and insect larvae. The best prepared food is Fluval Bug Bites. The micro size (smallest, in the blue container) for the pygmy species. Frozen daphnia is also excellent. And a quality brand of shrimp pellet, such as Omega One Shrimp Pellets.

Worms such as frozen bloodworms are not nutritious, and they should not be fed more than once a week if that. Frozen shrimp, live brine shrimp but these re not necessary. Do not feed "veggie" foods, this can cause digestive issues for all cories.

And yes, you need a smooth sand as the substrate.

BTW, the genus is Corydoras, singular and plural. Corydoras pygmaeus is the species. :fish:

Well I cleaned the tank and am thoroughly disgusted.
I destroyed my nice little pygmy cory fantasy landscape. All the plants are everywhere. Most of the rocks are buried.
I'm afraid that I buried my fish and am afraid to look for them in case I hurt one in the process. U hope I can count them all later.

What if I just buried the waste? I tried to just gently wave the syphon and get the gunk, but it was hard to get in between everything.

My fish freaked out and I am certain they hate me now. I can tell by the look in their eyes that say "How could you !?!"

Total chaos and the hose came out of the bucket and water everywhere.
Gave them frozen daphnia but maybe they are too traumatized to eat it.

And still there is gunk. I took a clean paintbrush and tried to glob some on there and was able to tidy up a bit.

The putting the water back in-----the worst.
Sand billowing everywhere in spite of what I thought was gentle.

Can they choke on sand?

I use my turkey basters to sand puff & poke...they also remove detritus from sand easier than using the syphon hoover. I give the sand on all my aquariums a good puff and poke each water change with the besters...it did confuse the fish at first but now they just watch the bubbles, check the now nice clean sand and go make a mess with it again ;)
Puff and poke?

'Poking at it' is a bit of a 'must', so well spotted. I'm actually using a Cake Tester to release some gas bubbles.
My syphoning technique is simply a pipe and bucket, with a digit over each end of the pipe.
Unlike most cory species, the pygmies don't seem to 'need' the sand substrate so much. Mine spend most of their time anywhere but the purpose-built beach I made them. In particular, they seem to enjoy grazing leaves for any infusoria and algae.
What kind of pipe?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back