they are not uncommon, but not much is more impressive than a dozen or more of these…

Magnum Man33 148

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
Jun 21, 2023
Messages
7,634
Reaction score
6,886
Points
113
Location
Southern MN
after I lost my fancy angel fish, 3 months or so ago, who mercilessly hunted these guys, I finally got a dozen more cardinal tetras, and fortunately, before my lone jumbo cardinal passed on…
IMG_9666.webp
 
I've never had a nippy cardinal.

Anything will try to taste the fins of a fancy Betta, as they look like decaying plants. But even here, not a problem. I think it's a myth.

I bought 30 to add with the small group I bred here, and they are delightful. In big groups, they are amazing. The most I ever had at one one time was 300, but I used to love the wholesaler's tanks with 6000 in there.

I fall for the new and exotic trap sometimes, but I always have room for cardinals.
 
in my tetra tank I’m not seeing any fin nipping, and while I only have a couple, the flags on the male “raccoon’s” (Hyphessobrycon procyon) are very extended, and must be tempting, but don’t become tattered by anyone…my palmeri used to be a bit nippy, until I got a proper group size, the cardinals have been well behaved…
 
wow… I was seeing my tank at 1st light, and not a cardinal in sight ( 3rd day today ) I turned and looked at another tank, for a minute, and looked back and a cloud of bright blue and red greeted me… they must have found their night home, and all poured out at the same time… some fish wake up gradually, and trickle into view in the main tank… the cardinals must have all poured out of some hidy hole all at the same time, at wake up time…
 
Last edited:

Most reactions

Back
Top