Cory Panda Turning Darker

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BacardiXx

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
My corrie's are getting darker, might be stress? got 3 of them, heard you need 3 at least

20130730_221714_zpse74cb568.jpg

20130730_221936_zps6e153fd9.jpg

If you keep fish on a dark substrate, a lot of them will darken their colours too; it's just a camouflage thing.

I hope you don't mind me mentioning a couple of other things?

The minimum group size for corydoras is six, not three.

I really don't like the look of your substrate, for the cories point of view. They need to be on a smooth substrate that is kept scrupulously clean; sand is really much better for them than any gravel, although many people do use very fine, rounded gravels with success. Yours looks rather sharp, which could wear away their barbels.

Yup.  My C. leopardus turned nearly pitch black when kept on a black substrate.  If they didn't darken, I'd worry.

Okay thanks for your reply, well that is what the local fish shop tells me ... (need to sell something ofcourse)\
I actually wanted sand in the aquarium but my  local fish shop advised me to take this substrate because it will let through co2 or something for the roots of the plants. 
they said your plants will die easy when using plants.
hope you can explain / advise about this?

Some plants are nearly indestructible, others are quite sensitive.  You can plant an aquarium with a sand substrate.  Root feeders like amazon swords will appreciate a root tab fertilizer, but most others will be just fine with liquid fertilizers, if they require even that.

All my sand tanks are (low tech) planted and I don't have any issues
smile.png

okay cool, i think i am going to change this soon. thanks for all advice!

I can guarantee you'll be happy when you see how happy your cories are on sand!

One of the things I really like, after having kept my cories on gravel (which I will never do again!) is, after I've done a water change and smoothed the sand out, next day it's all covered in little dimples where they've been digging their snouts in overnight 
wub.png

Sand is the way to go with corys. There is no comparison to watching corys plough through sand. Just be prepared for them to move it around how they like it.

What are you feeding them BacardiXx ? Be aware they are 95% carnivores !!! If you'll give them good food, alive or defrosted they even will color a bit pinkish. Colour depends on food as well. Don't know where you live in Yhe Netherlands but have a look foor Poolfiltersand at Wildkamp (Ponds aso). It's cheap and marvelous stuff !!

Groeten.

Aad.

Corys can change their colour quite a lot depending on the colour of the substrate and from my observations it can take a few weeks to do so but they eventually stop "changing" at some point.
Besides that, unusually dark colour for certain individuals compared to others could be a bacterial infection of some sort. Or as Double Ditch says, some foods play a role into colouring too.

Yes im from holland, i got my food from Discus shop ( called tropisch granulaat). just those grains wich go down to the bottem. also got another food for the ancistrus wich looks like a tablet.  but they eat this also.
I dont really like the discus shop so i went to some specified fish shop where i did get this substrate from. Its dennerle substrate and they told me that this black colour can not be from the substrate, they said that the fish is fine and 
it will get darker if its get older

The last part can be / is true : When getting older they get darker. The story about substrate isn't true though, Although I myself do believe they can be kept on substrate other than sand, they like sand so they can scavage and put their heads in. Some people say they even clean their gills with sand.
If you're not gonna change that, you could place some flat stone where they can rest on when wanted.

Are you living in Noord Holland (guessing cause of the Discus-shop)
Food : They are mainly carnivores so high protein food, Algae wafers aso can be fed, but not as main food.

Try to get some more of there fellows. 6+ is better.

[SIZE=medium]
694337_0_82_img_1338.jpg
[/SIZE]

My bronze cories which were still fry at the time totally darkened up on black substrate, nothing to do with age.

DoubleDutch said:
The last part can be / is true : When getting older they get darker. The story about substrate isn't true though, Although I myself do believe they can be kept on substrate other than sand, they like sand so they can scavage and put their heads in. Some people say they even clean their gills with sand.
If you're not gonna change that, you could place some flat stone where they can rest on when wanted.

Are you living in Noord Holland (guessing cause of the Discus-shop)
Food : They are mainly carnivores so high protein food, Algae wafers aso can be fed, but not as main food.

Try to get some more of there fellows. 6+ is better.

[SIZE=medium]
694337_0_82_img_1338.jpg
[/SIZE]

On the contrary, my C. leopardus have gone through a series of color changes as they started on beige sand, then went to black sand and now are back on beige sand.  They were nearly black on the black sand... and now they are back to the 'regular' color that folks are used to.  It has nothing to do with age, although colors do deepen as they grow older as well. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back