Cory catfish is twitching

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

not sure why they are losing their barbels @JuiceBox52
it’s kinda hard taking A video but I will try
image.jpg

Caught these two doing it, not on video but I will try. I am doing 75% waterchanges everyday
1C61667F-FEA0-46FD-A989-53FC08ABD842.jpeg
C7DEF019-8784-4807-8BD3-A03BCB6BE1A0.jpeg

I swear this is petcos fault.. I bought these 3 little Cory catfish and they all seem sick. This happened after I bought them. My other big Corys are fine they probably fought whatever this is off.. and so is my betta

Have you added anything to the tank? I would do what Colin would probably advise which would be wipe down the glass and clean the substrate along with a 75 - 90% water change

the fish in the last 3 pictures are covered in excess mucous and one looks like it has a problem with its mouth (possibly Columnaris).

I have no idea what has been said previously but the excess mucous is either poor water quality, chemicals in the water or an external protozoan infection (Costia, Chilodonella, Trichodina).

2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres, and water changes.

the fish in the last 3 pictures are covered in excess mucous and one looks like it has a problem with its mouth (possibly Columnaris).

I have no idea what has been said previously but the excess mucous is either poor water quality, chemicals in the water or an external protozoan infection (Costia, Chilodonella, Trichodina).

2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres, and water changes.
Any salt is okay? Also I never treated any illness before

Last edited:
rock salt, swimming pool salt, aquarium salt, its all the same stuff.

rock salt, swimming pool salt, aquarium salt, its all the same stuff.
I thought Corys didn’t like salt I really don’t know what else to do so I will do as u say, but I could also get meds from my fish store if needed

also I don’t have a seperate tank, I’m guessing u want me to add salt to my main tank?

Colin has recommended the lower dose because cories are in the scaleless range. Yes salt is fine but make sure you do the 2 tablespoons to every 20litres. That salt is perfect. When you water change make sure to add what you take it or you will end up diluting the salt out.

Colin has recommended the lower dose because cories are in the scaleless range. Yes salt is fine but make sure you do the 2 tablespoons to every 20litres. That salt is perfect. When you water change make sure to add what you take it or you will end up diluting the salt out.
Ok so I have 20 gallons, so like 8 scoops.

20 gallons is 75 litres, I would do 7 to be on the safe side.

Most reactions

Back