Cory And African Cichlids Living Together...

electric yellow

Fish Addict
Reaction score
My partner bought us a new tank yesterday. Its really nice and deep and about 4ft long. We are going to put our africans in it. Too give them more room. We currently have one electric yellow and two female grey and black convicts plus possibly put our three blue rams in too. They will love it.

What I want to know is can my albino corys go in it too? Or will they get bullied and eaten alive. I have two corys.

They are in an aqua start 320 now with my guppies and platies who will mvoe into the 3ft when the africans move house. And the bigger tank would be ideal. Specially because the ground is perfect for them. As it is sand. I thought about putting them in my 3ft but that has gravel in it.

We already have our white sand and fine marble subtrate down as the ground and started cycling it yesterday.

I will take a decent photo of the tank when i get home. I love the fact the glass is rounded on the corners so there is no black silicon there.

The water parametres will be the same as our other tanks. Our africans have water pH levels dead on neutral which doesnt seem to phase them, so do the corys.

For $900 au (was $1500 but marked down for sale) we got:

Aqua one heater
Aqua one cf1000 filter (really fat filter) with pipes and connections
Nice big black cabinet and plastic hood
2x fluro lights. One purple and one normal
Light fittings
Tank with rounded glass edges Dimensions around 4x3x3

2yr warranty on all parts.

The short answer is "no."

No Cichlids, African or SA. Cichlids are territorial. Corys haven't a clue about territories. I have peppers in a community tank with cockatoo apistos and have had agassazi in there. Although the apistos are territorial, they don't fight with their neighbors who trespass. But convicts are pit bulls and the Africans can be too. Your Corys will at the very least be stressed and get lowered immune systems from it which will lead to illness. You might try a group of loaches or a plec, but the catfish for an African tank would be Synos.

Thanks for that :) Better to be safe than sorry!! :good:

I wasn't too sure.

Our 2x clown loaches and our bristol noses are in our 3ft. The loaches are bigger than the convicts and electric yellow so it shouldnt be an issue for them. Also they are currently in the same tank as our few africans. Have been for 6mths. We have a large bristol nose too. We arent to fussed about adding fish other than africans but the loaches (in my opinion) need more room to run around. God knows how they still manage to fit into the pods in our 3ft.

I have 6 x 5+"clowns in my Tanganyikan Rift tank with 4 frontosa, 3 red fin LuBuFu compressecepts, and 5 or 6 Multi Synos.

The Clowns and Bristle/Bushy Nose Plecs should be ok. In general they are recommended by the African Forum. I don't know for sure what the Loach and Plec affecianados would say, but as long as the water is not too hard or high in ph, they should be ok.

You will see much more of your clowns if you plan to keep them if you can keep at least 6. It seems to be the magic number for clowns. So plan for a bigger tank in the future. LOL Just call me "MTS The Tempter"!

My Rift tank is a 125 usg SeaClear System II. The acrylics are lovely! I find them easier to clean and lovely to look at. But beware of scratching. Especially with the sand. A bit on the cleaning sponge or algae magnet can leave an indelible mark.

Most reactions

Back