Coronavirus...post your thoughts here...

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
We flew in the face of the world before and paid for it in lives. There is an obsession within the government for standing out alone against the world as demonstrated by the obsession with Brexit. It's so scary living here that both my children are emigrating. I can't, sadly.
Understandable...

Colin_T

Fish Guru
Reaction score
On the news just then the delta strain has spread from New South Wales (NSW) into Victoria when a family moved from NSW to Victoria and took the virus with them. Most states have closed their borders to NSW and Victoria.

A nurse at one of the hospitals has the delta strain and she was fully vaccinated. She caught it from a patient in the covid ward and she was wearing full PPE. So either she was slack when cleaning up or the delta strain can bypass PPE.

And a maternity ward has been locked down due to a person there having covid19.

OP
Fishmanic

Fishmanic

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
They're saying protection afforded by the vaccine can start to wane after 6 months. If they don't offer a booster, the new variants which are more transmissable can start the spread of covid again, perhaps even to those who were vaccinated.

anewbie

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
They're saying protection afforded by the vaccine can start to wane after 6 months. If they don't offer a booster, the new variants which are more transmissable can start the spread of covid again, perhaps even to those who were vaccinated.
This is still fluid - they are continously running studies on this matter. The latest I heard (at least with the pfiz. vac) is that they now think they will last a year. THe other thing that is showing up is that even if you do get sick you are not likely to have long haul issues that a lot of people are suffering but the press mostly ignores.

OP
Fishmanic

Fishmanic

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Here in the US, the CDC is considering recommending that people 65 or older and people with compromised immune systems now get a booster shot.

Last edited:

Colin_T

Fish Guru
Reaction score
Latest news from Australia.

Stupid arrogant people right across the country have been protesting lock downs and thousands gathered in New South Wales (NSW) and most were not wearing masks. The majority of people at the protest were young adults (20-35) and most were male. NSW has had the delta strain running rampant for the last month and cannot control it and the government is concerned this will be a super spreader event.

People in Western Australia (WA) were also protesting lock downs even though we aren't in a lock down. I have no idea why the idiots were protesting here when they aren't affected.

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Our country has reached code dark red. A number of countries are taking measures again against dutch tourists. The spreading of the delta variant is going massively at this point.

OP
Fishmanic

Fishmanic

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
In the United States, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reversed course Tuesday on some masking guidelines, recommending that even vaccinated people return to wearing masks indoors in parts of the U.S. where the coronavirus is surging.

Colin_T

Fish Guru
Reaction score
In the United States, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reversed course Tuesday on some masking guidelines, recommending that even vaccinated people return to wearing masks indoors in parts of the U.S. where the coronavirus is surging.
That's caused by the delta strain, which came from India and is spreading across Australia, Indonesia, New Guinea, UK and the US, as well as other countries around the world. It's a real nasty strain that is contagious for up to 4 days before people show any symptoms. By then it's too late because people have been out and about spreading it.

Naughts

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Weirdly the case numbers in England have dropped significantly in the last 7 days, despite all restrictions being relaxed on the 19th July. They reached a high of 54,674 on 17 July and fell to 24,950 on 26 July. (The Guardian)

OliveFish05

Fish Herder
Reaction score
That's caused by the delta strain, which came from India and is spreading across Australia, Indonesia, New Guinea, UK and the US, as well as other countries around the world. It's a real nasty strain that is contagious for up to 4 days before people show any symptoms. By then it's too late because people have been out and about spreading it.
My aunt in Oklahoma had the Delta strain the entire time I was down there for a week over the summer. They didn’t tell us until three weeks later, at which point every one of my non vaccinated extended family had COVID from getting together for the fourth. My family is very glad we were all (all of us who were old enough) able to get both our doses of the vaccine two weeks before we left, so we didn’t bring it back with us. Every single unvaccinated family member got it, not a single vaccinated one did, we even got tested to be safe.

Edit: even if any of us vaccinated family members did get it, we didn’t show symptoms, which in my mind goes to show how effective the vaccine is at either preventing or reducing the effects of the virus

NannaLou

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Weirdly the case numbers in England have dropped significantly in the last 7 days, despite all restrictions being relaxed on the 19th July. They reached a high of 54,674 on 17 July and fell to 24,950 on 26 July. (The Guardian)
But Covid related deaths are at their highest since March….

Colin_T

Fish Guru
Reaction score
Edit: even if any of us vaccinated family members did get it, we didn’t show symptoms, which in my mind goes to show how effective the vaccine is at either preventing or reducing the effects of the virus
Which vaccine did you get?
Some vaccines seem to deal with the delta strain better than other vaccines.

Sunnyspots

Fishaholic
Reaction score
That's only the recorded figures, but with people deleting the app those figures are likely to be an under- representation. The true numbers could actually be much higher.

Most reactions