Coronavirus...post your thoughts here...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Update from Western Australia.

We have 6 new cases of covid19 that have come from an animal transport ship that just arrived at Fremantle Harbour (the major port in the southern half of the state). The crew have been taken to a hospital and are in quarantine.

We have a couple more new cases that are linked to a hotel worker that was confirmed as having covid19 last week.

In the eastern states (other side of the country), there are new cases popping up all over Victoria and NSW. Kids went back to school at the start of the week and 2 schools were shut the same day because they had a student at each school that was covid19 positive. More kids have tested positive since then.

The Premiers (equivalent of US Governors) of those 2 states are saying the rest of the country should open their borders and allow interstate travellers in, but the rest of the country is saying no way, get stuffed, we don't want you uncontrolled cases of covid19 coming here.

I was at the shops today and there was a shop worker that was coughing and wiping his nose with his hand. And there were 2 sick customers walking around coughing. These 3 people are in breach of the state and federal laws, which state anyone with a cough, cold, flu, runny nose, or any signs of a cold or flu virus are to stay home. But people don't care and are going out coughing all over the place. It's absolutely ridiculous.
That is awful!

in the US ,, we're still getting around 20,000 cases a day and over 1000 deaths. In my state alone, we average around 800 cases a day and around 100 additional deaths.

Last edited:
Ive been quite lucky, im from Utah and currently live in Kansas, Wichita, both states have lower cases of covid and lower deaths than the national average for what ever reason. My wife has been able to work from home im a stay at home dad my kids are safe i wear my mask when i have to go out and though things seem to be getting better i expect when flu season arrives in the winter the the second wave of covid will cause more harm than this wave, so i will continue to wear my mask social distance and expect the worst and hope for the best!

Over 100,000 deaths now in the USA. (There is actually no way of knowing the true amount of deaths, as the hospitals are messing with the system. :rolleyes:)

Over 100,000 deaths now in the USA. (There is actually no way of knowing the true amount of deaths, as the hospitals are messing with the system. :rolleyes:)
I suspect it's the same here in the UK. We have no real idea what the infection or death rates are. We've been keeping track of the local figures across 12 towns/citiesand the mortality rate seems to be between 20 -25% , which is very high.

I appreciate that the majority of these are probably people in care homes - elderly, disabled or otherwise vulnerable - but it's still a massive proportion of infected people who are dying. Besides which - just because someone is old, or disabled, it doesn't mean that they are expendable.

And still we see people behaving in a ridiculously thoughtless manner - barbecues in the garden with their mates round etc.

I suspect it's the same here in the UK. We have no real idea what the infection or death rates are. We've been keeping track of the local figures across 12 towns/citiesand the mortality rate seems to be between 20 -25% , which is very high.

I appreciate that the majority of these are probably people in care homes - elderly, disabled or otherwise vulnerable - but it's still a massive proportion of infected people who are dying. Besides which - just because someone is old, or disabled, it doesn't mean that they are expendable.

And still we see people behaving in a ridiculously thoughtless manner - barbecues in the garden with their mates round etc.
It's really frustrating. People having birthday parties and bonfires here too.

In my state, they estimate 10% of the population has built up antibodies so they probably had covid at one time.

Apparently the US is leading the way with highest deaths and highest number of infections around the world. South America is next on the list. Both of these areas have leaders that don't think this is a problem and are busy telling people to get on with life and pray to whoever they pray to.

If you compare that to other countries (Australia, New Zealand) that shut down early and forced social distancing and isolation, there is a massive difference. We have very few cases and deaths here compared to other countries.

Sweden has not bothered shutting down or enforced social distancing laws and they have lots of deaths too. They claim their economy is more important but that is now collapsing because nobody is going there due to the high number of cases.

------------------
Even though covid19 only has a 5% kill rate, that is still a lot of people that could die from this. The 5% kill rate is in western society with good medical care. Countries like Africa, India and various other places with low quality or no health care, could suffer much higher death rates.

There are 7.5 billion people on Earth and if we work off a 5% kill rate, potentially 375 million people could die from this. If the virus mutates and keeps killing people in a year or two, we could lose that many people every year.

-----------------
This isn't just a virus that kills old people, we had a 30 yo male die here recently from covid19 and people are trying to work out how he caught it because he hadn't been near anyone with it. Young people around the world are not immune to this and if the virus mutates and becomes more aggressive, it could start killing larger numbers of young people too.

You can't make it up can you?

I heard the monkey gang leader is Caesar (from The Rise of Planet of the Apes movie). His plan is to have his gang of monkeys spread the virus to as many humans as possible. He wants revenge for the transgressions of the human race against the apes.

I heard the monkey gang leader is Caesar (from The Rise of Planet of the Apes movie). His plan is to have his gang of monkeys spread the virus to as many humans as possible. He wants revenge for the transgressions of the human race against the apes.
@Fishmanic I'm sure you watch too much movie lately.

Whilst I know this was meant to be a joke, it could happen if the monkeys become infected.

How on earth did all these guys get together for a massive party in london? Someone must have been running a club (there's dj equipment) or a local facebook page and texted the lot of the regulars who signed up..

Look at this further down the page, some people are so stupid.

"
At Durdle Door, near Lulworth, three people were seriously injured after jumping off cliffs. An air ambulance was called and large crowds had to be moved from the beach to allow the helicopter to land."

How on earth did all these guys get together for a massive party in london? Someone must have been running a club (there's dj equipment) or a local facebook page and texted the lot of the regulars who signed up..

Look at this further down the page, some people are so stupid.

"
At Durdle Door, near Lulworth, three people were seriously injured after jumping off cliffs. An air ambulance was called and large crowds had to be moved from the beach to allow the helicopter to land."

I've seen photos of the Durdle Door fiasco (who in their right mind jumps off a CLIFF? Onto ROCKS?) - everybody has just crushed together away from the helicopters - you couldn't get a blade of grass between them!

People think that if Scummings can beetle up and down the motorway, then it mustn't be as dangerous as the govt claims. I saw Chris Whitty's and Patrick Valance's faces - it's worse!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back