Cories Hybridizing

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

guppies and mollies look quite different but will crossbreed readily, as long as there arent both sexes of each species.
The only livebearers that will easily crossbreed, are guppies with Endlers and platys with swordtails. Guppies crossbreeding with mollies is extremely rare and almost always results in fry that die off early and if they do survive are not capable of reproducing (mules) besides being quite ugly. lol. Google is your friend. - Frank

oh, i have heard that mollies will breed with guppies easily, as guppy males seem to be horny little #19###s, so nothing stops them from trying, actually im trying to hybridize the two species, and one of my male guppies never leaves the virgin female molly alone (dont worry, the fry will never leave my care) but i have heard that the babies do die easily.

oh, i have heard that mollies will breed with guppies easily, as guppy males seem to be horny little #19###s, so nothing stops them from trying, actually im trying to hybridize the two species, and one of my male guppies never leaves the virgin female molly alone (dont worry, the fry will never leave my care) but i have heard that the babies do die easily.
Well, unfortunately, what we hear and what is fact are oftentimes very different things. Try all you like. It's your time to spend as you see fit. I can assure that the odds of you being successful are about the same as being struck by lightning, twice, in the same day. :) - Frank

its a bit weird that so little species interbreed, which is a good thing i guess, but the weird thing is they look very similar except colour, and guppies and mollies look quite different but will crossbreed readily, as long as there arent both sexes of each species. but i guess you said we should have both sexes of each species, i hope i do.

Hi there I just wanted to add something with regards to your post. The species name (full latin species genus etc) is not based on if they look alike its based more on genetics and simularitys at the molecular and microscopic level. Which is why we are 98% like chimps and only 60% like orangutans...you'd have thought the chimps and oran-utangs were closer, but on the molecular level we are closer than they are. anyway, not all simular looking species are family related molecularly...hope that helps

Well, unfortunately, what we hear and what is fact are oftentimes very different things. Try all you like. It's your time to spend as you see fit. I can assure that the odds of you being successful are about the same as being struck by lightning, twice, in the same day. :) - Frank

well, strike me twice please, i know it will be a challange, but i get bored when im not doing something challanging, so i hope this will keep me occupied

its a bit weird that so little species interbreed, which is a good thing i guess, but the weird thing is they look very similar except colour, and guppies and mollies look quite different but will crossbreed readily, as long as there arent both sexes of each species. but i guess you said we should have both sexes of each species, i hope i do.

Hi there I just wanted to add something with regards to your post. The species name (full latin species genus etc) is not based on if they look alike its based more on genetics and simularitys at the molecular and microscopic level. Which is why we are 98% like chimps and only 60% like orangutans...you'd have thought the chimps and oran-utangs were closer, but on the molecular level we are closer than they are. anyway, not all simular looking species are family related molecularly...hope that helps

i know that its not about what they look like, but they do look the same, so i was hinting at they might mistake a diferent species for the same species. does that make sense? or do i really suck at explaining what im thinking lol

well, strike me twice please, i know it will be a challange, but i get bored when im not doing something challanging, so i hope this will keep me occupied

i know that its not about what they look like, but they do look the same, so i was hinting at they might mistake a diferent species for the same species. does that make sense? or do i really suck at explaining what im thinking lol

Not at all, just filling in knowledge gaps for others reading the forums x

Most reactions

trending

Back