Cories Hybridizing

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mr130gallon

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i would think that different species of cories are closely related enough that they could interbreed/hybridize with different cory species. Can they?

i would think that different species of cories are closely related enough that they could interbreed/hybridize with different cory species. Can they?
Cross-breeding in Corys does happen, but it is extremely rare. Additionally, premeditated attempts at doing so are frowned upon. Care should be taken to assure that the likelihood of this taking place in your tanks is virtually eliminated. - Frank

ok, because i have two species of cories in my tank, 6 bronze and 4 elegans, i plan on getting 4 more bronze and 2 more elegans, but i dont want them to crossbreed. if there is enough of their own species will they (hopefully) not crossbreed?

ok, because i have two species of cories in my tank, 6 bronze and 4 elegans, i plan on getting 4 more bronze and 2 more elegans, but i dont want them to crossbreed. if there is enough of their own species will they (hopefully) not crossbreed?
It is virtually impossible for those two species to ever cross-breed. - Frank

i dont want to make it seem as though i want to cross breed them, but why is it virtually impossible? they both have the same 'first' Latin name...

i know bronze and albinos can cross because there the same fish but just diffrent colour form but im not sure about other types.

yeah, im getting 4 albino bronze cories, which i know can breed with the normal bornzes, but i dont mind that because its still a pureblood bronze cory

i dont want to make it seem as though i want to cross breed them, but why is it virtually impossible? they both have the same 'first' Latin name...
There are many hundreds of Corydoras species. They have been reports of cross-breeding in less than a dozen species. Why? Well, that answer is way above my pay grade. :) - Frank

Can I ask why hybridising is bad again? I just wondered if it is specifically related to just irresponsibility or actually affects genetics etc?

Can I ask why hybridising is bad again? I just wondered if it is specifically related to just irresponsibility or actually affects genetics etc?
Well, this is a hotly debated topic, but it boils down to this; serious aquarists and all ichthyologists view it as extremely irresponsible as it does nothing but add confusion to a family of fish that already has hundreds of unidentified and non-cataloged species, within the various genera. Creating "Frankenfish" does nothing to advance the science.

Irresponsible hobbyists think nothing of it, as they simply believe that it's "cool" to be able to accomplish such a feat, regardless of its effect on the "science." Just because you are able to do something, does not mean that you should. Bottom line - if you are not going to house your Corys in species specific tanks, then be sure to include both sexes of both species in mixed tanks. - Frank

Thanks for explaining that Frank, hope didnt spark anything too much did really want to understand the proper reasons :good: Of course if corydoras were to spawn between species then best to keep the fry yourself not introduce them into the mainstream hobby and separate for future. With the cories such as the peppered, bronze and albinos that are known to easily breed and perhaps with each other, do the fry separate out to the parental colourations or are there going to be differentiations? Find this topic interesting and hope dont mind discussing. Also while on topic with the pygmies of the world..hastatus, habrosus and pygameus are these likely to due to similarity in size (unsure of their genus).

Thanks for explaining that Frank, hope didnt spark anything too much did really want to understand the proper reasons.
Well, it's a subject all hobbyists should have some awareness of.
Of course if corydoras were to spawn between species then best to keep the fry yourself not introduce them into the mainstream hobby and separate for future.
That's exactly correct.
With the cories such as the peppered, bronze and albinos that are known to easily breed and perhaps with each other, do the fry separate out to the parental colourations or are there going to be differentiations?
Those are not species that have been known to cross-breed.
Find this topic interesting and hope dont mind discussing.
I don't mind discussing it, but I'm certainly no expert on the topic. My aim was to simply provide an overview based on popular belief.
Also while on topic with the pygmies of the world..hastatus, habrosus and pygameus are these likely to due to similarity in size (unsure of their genus).
In nature, almost anything is possible, but these are species that I have never heard of any instances of cross-breeding. It really is an extremely rare occurrence. - Frank

its a bit weird that so little species interbreed, which is a good thing i guess, but the weird thing is they look very similar except colour, and guppies and mollies look quite different but will crossbreed readily, as long as there arent both sexes of each species. but i guess you said we should have both sexes of each species, i hope i do.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back