Coral Sand To Alter Ph

Bebobb

You can't get like me
Joined
May 18, 2008
Messages
1,771
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Gravette Arkansas
I was reading where coral sand alters pH, which I want, as I am setting up a Multi tank. But I read where it will irrate their gills because it has sharp paricles. If I put some in a blender, do you know if it will be fine, and not irritate gills? Thank you for your advise.
 
get yourself some clams or oysters, steam them eat them and keep the shells(well, if you like shellfish anyway)...then boil the shells for 15 minutes, scrub each one and re-boil for another 15 minutes...put them in a plastic baggie and smash them up with a rock or hammer. take the pieces and put a small handful into the toe of a clean pair of tights...tie it off and plop it in your filter....works great and is soooooooo much cheaper than paying for "crushed coral"...same stuff just from a different source (and you get the added bonus of having an excuse to eat some yummy shellfish yourself!).
it will not in any way harm your fish's gills.
cheers
 
oh...ive never heard that it is sharp for their gills. the coral sand should be washed well anyway to take care of the fine particulates that would float around anyway...so if it's washed well i dont see HOW it could harm their gills (as it will all stay on the bottom!).
sry for the confusion.
best of luck
 
Thhank you for your advise. I will just get crushed coral sand and LOTS of shells for them. Like cover the whole bottom with shells, then order some slate and rocks.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top