Cooling Fans In A Hot Summer

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Charphlosion

Reaction score
Hi,

I've had a tank for a few months now. It's 80L and I have an angelfish and a sucker. I had a dwarf gourami but recently my air con broke and it got too hot for the poor thing. It's been up to 30C in the tank some days, maybe even higher! My angelfish and sucker fish seem totally fine, but I'm very worried about it. I have a cooling fan headed to me in the mail. It says it suits 80L, but will this be the case if it gets really hot here again? It's predicated that this summer might bring 50C days! (I'm in Western Australia)

If the fan is enough for a solution, I want to get a pair of dwarf gourami. I really like them and the pet store has a bunch who are getting along together already. Would introducing two dwarf gourami to my tank be okay?

Living in Arizona I know a bit about heat. I've found that fans will get you a couple of degrees at best. If that's all you need then they are an affordable way to cool a tank. Also being lidless is a big way too.

For me I had to reduce heat in other ways such as cooler or external power heads like my Vortech and LED lighting made a huge difference. There are many here that run chillers. Though the initial cost is quite high it's not all that much to run them since they only turn on when needed. If the tank's not too hot they stay off.

I'm afraid your angel would very likely bully dwarf gouramis. TBH, your tank is probably too small for an angel anyway. You could post the dimensions of your tank (length x height x width), but you might have to look at rehoming it.

The same will probably apply to your 'sucker', I'm afraid; depending on the exact species, it could grow to over a foot long :/ Get a pic up and we'll id it for you :good:

Thanks for the swift replies :)
A couple of degrees would be fine if it doesn't get any hotter. But I think it might. I'll probably have to move the tank to my partners house then. It's alway cold there.

As for the size, it would be no problem getting a new tank if necessary. My partners dad makes them, which is very handy, since he likes me enough to give me family rates.

The height is: 35cm
Width: 30cm
Length: 60cm

The photos I tried to attach are too big :/
But the angel is my icon pic and the sucker is only 5cm long at the moment. It hasn't gotten any bigger in months. The guy at the shop said it would suit a small tank, but he also didn't seem particularly enthused or helpful, so who knows.

You desperately do need a new tank for the angel, if you want to keep it. The minimum size would be 100cms length by 45cms height and 30 cms width, although bigger would be better.

Sorry you couldn't post a pic of your sucker; could you upload it to Flickr or Photobucket and post the links?

Okay thanks. She's still pretty small, but I can get a bigger tank this week anyway. I'll post the picture of the sucker later when I can get to a computer

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back