Cool Giant Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cooledwhip said:
I will. I just want a monster. Not mainly to eat a mice just for reference. Like something big, bad and cool, not a crappy giant goldfish lol.

I might buy a flowerhorn they just look awesome. Is the "horn" just air or is it some type of fat?

Good to know, glad to know we cleared that up.

Yes, the nuchal hump (kok) is primarily made up of fatty tissue and water. The size of a flowerhorn's kok is very dependent on health, but more so genetics. Make sure your flowerhorn has pristine water conditions and a high protein diet.
There's a wide range of flowerhorn types to choose from, pick the type that appeals most to your eye, and do your research. My personal favorites are super red dragons and Thai silks.

In the world of flowerhorns, it's all about who has the biggest kok. No pun intended...

As above, they can be quite aggressive. Mine is only around 4-5" at the moment and I need to keep him netted up against the glass when working on the tank as he will bite me and draw blood.
It's not a huge bite, at the moment due to his size, but it definitely hurts. >_<

Wow that fish sounds BAAAADDDDDD. (in a good way). awesome. I am definetly considering one. gorgeous fish. Will they destroy plants or should the tank be bare bottom? Also for tank inhabitants? Yes or no?

cooledwhip said:
Wow that fish sounds BAAAADDDDDD. (in a good way). awesome. I am definetly considering one. gorgeous fish. Will they destroy plants or should the tank be bare bottom? Also for tank inhabitants? Yes or no?

Plants don't hurt, but most people keep FHs in bare bottom setups or very minimalistic scapes (just gravel or sand). Helps keep the water and tank as clean as possible.
No tankmates, best kept as a solo show piece.

Would I be able to do a pair of FH? Male and a female?

cooledwhip said:
Would I be able to do a pair of FH? Male and a female?

Not in a 75 gallon. Maybe in a 120 gallon, but you'll need to have them divided (until they want to breed), or have a lot of hiding places for your female.
Flowerhorns don't make good tankmates, even with other flowerhorns, due to their aggression.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back