convict tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Oscar

Reaction score
I"m thinking of getting a 20g for breeding convicts, dunno wether white or blue yet but hope to get some soon. This tank will be big enough!? Just thought id tell ya!

maybe for the first batch of fry. they breed like rabbits and are usually referred to as water bunnies. can breed every 6 weeks and have roughly 150 fry each time. unless you have something to do with the fry i would not suggest breeding them. they are hard to get rid of since they are so common and always available.

ever hear of people who think gerbils are cute and decide to breed them to make money and their house gets overrun with gerbil cages? think of that with water. :blink:

maggie

I have a fry tank and i will be able to get rid of the fry. Should i add a catfish (plec) a small 1 obviously?

just to be nosey, how are you planning to get rid of the fry? lfs's are somewhat reluctant to take convicts since they are so common. how big is the fry tank? convicts are great parents so there is no need to separate the fry from the parents. also the batches before are good with new fry. very peaceful family environment fish. no need for the plec since the convicts are prolific cleaners. will not lay in a tank that is not suitable for fry and thoroughly clean the area where the fry will be laid. the plec will more than likely get beat on since they are very protective of their young. have my convicts battle with my devils to protect theirs.

maggie

the fry tank will be a 15g and i will sell the fry to the lfs.

make sure that they will take them all. also be prepared that they will not probably take them until they are an inch or so. got into that mess myself. thought it was really cool when my convicts started to breed. they were the first ones that i got to breed. then they became a real pain! still like the convicts but after a few batches of fry, nobody wanted them. also very cheap fish. you can sell them for about 25 cents apeice.

just don't want to see you get into the same boat that i did.

maggie

I'll try not to do the same as u! Theres a couple of shops that might want to take them. If i cant get rid of all of them ill feed them to other fish.

That explains why my lfs has two or three tanks full of pink convicts @ 25 cents each. I never saw any cichlid for that price! My other lfs has kribensis, which everyone says is easy to breed, and they are $8 each! What's more, they all seem to be males!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back