Controversial stocking?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I have several severums with plants that has no problems, they do sometimes nibble on the plants. In the same tank I also have 2 datnoids, 1 fahaka puffer, 3 flowerhorn, 2 ropefish, 1 tiretrack eel, 4 small blue diamond parrot, and one snakehead fish. They are all juveniles except for the 2 datnoids. I don't really have any problems

I have several severums with plants that has no problems, they do sometimes nibble on the plants. In the same tank I also have 2 datnoids, 1 fahaka puffer, 3 flowerhorn, 2 ropefish, 1 tiretrack eel, 4 small blue diamond parrot, and one snakehead fish. They are all juveniles except for the 2 datnoids. I don't really have any problems
You will!

You will!

Who do you think will give me the most problem? Snakehead or the fahaka? If that does happen, I don't think I will want another tank, and I can't house the snakehead in my 75 gallon because it doesn't have a cover on it, and I'm definitely not giving it to the game wardens... I'm really hoping that they are growing up together, they will be fine.

A whole lot of mistakes I made early on taught me to always plan a tank as if the fish were full adult size. If you are a decent fishkeeper who cares and does the necessary work, they will get to adulthood. No one plans for their fish to die young.

They'll all grow. Even if they aren't violent, the tank will seem smaller and smaller and the water changes more and more demanding. Puberty will hit as they grow, and territoriality will kick in. If they are juveniles, you haven't come to that yet. The ones that will cause the most problems because of their sizes are the 2 datnoids, 1 fahaka puffer, 3 flowerhorn, 2 ropefish, 1 tiretrack eel, 4 small blue diamond parrot, and one snakehead fish.

Datnoids get huge. I've handled Fahakas that weren't just long in their bodies, but heavy. And I handled them very carefully, and not just because of their price. Flowerhorns can be viciously territorial. The ropefish will get pushed around. Tiretracks aren't bad behaviourally, but bio load? They are big. Parrots are fat fish, so a heavy bioload. How they behave depends on how deformed they are. If the mouth is too misshapen for them to bite, they are harmless. If not, then watch for the fighting to erupt in a few months. I've noticed that since they were first sold, the mouths are getting more and more functional in the ones I see in stores. The fish they were created from can be very rough customers.

The illegal snakehead should not be in any tank, but when they were legal, they were considered one fish, one tank creatures.

I am really negative here, but unless you have an entire 1970s bungalow full of water, that assemblage goes a bit beyond controversial. You have a set of fish ideal for a fishroom with 7-10 tanks in the 100 gallon and up range.

How does this tank get along? I've always heard since gourami and betta are the same family, they should not be housed together
Hey, It's controversial. The tank did very well because it was densely planted and had very nice hides. I housed all the fish before adding them to the tank to ensure none were "super" aggressive. I'm now out of the fish hobby but that tank was by far my fav. I like to compare the stock to a Betta sorority tank, very similar situation.

A whole lot of mistakes I made early on taught me to always plan a tank as if the fish were full adult size. If you are a decent fishkeeper who cares and does the necessary work, they will get to adulthood. No one plans for their fish to die young.

They'll all grow. Even if they aren't violent, the tank will seem smaller and smaller and the water changes more and more demanding. Puberty will hit as they grow, and territoriality will kick in. If they are juveniles, you haven't come to that yet. The ones that will cause the most problems because of their sizes are the 2 datnoids, 1 fahaka puffer, 3 flowerhorn, 2 ropefish, 1 tiretrack eel, 4 small blue diamond parrot, and one snakehead fish.

Datnoids get huge. I've handled Fahakas that weren't just long in their bodies, but heavy. And I handled them very carefully, and not just because of their price. Flowerhorns can be viciously territorial. The ropefish will get pushed around. Tiretracks aren't bad behaviourally, but bio load? They are big. Parrots are fat fish, so a heavy bioload. How they behave depends on how deformed they are. If the mouth is too misshapen for them to bite, they are harmless. If not, then watch for the fighting to erupt in a few months. I've noticed that since they were first sold, the mouths are getting more and more functional in the ones I see in stores. The fish they were created from can be very rough customers.

The illegal snakehead should not be in any tank, but when they were legal, they were considered one fish, one tank creatures.

I am really negative here, but unless you have an entire 1970s bungalow full of water, that assemblage goes a bit beyond controversial. You have a set of fish ideal for a fishroom with 7-10 tanks in the 100 gallon and up range.

I do hope for them to properly grow into adult size, I guess when that time comes, it's either adding more tanks or rehoming some of them. And as far as the mini blue parrots, they don't get over 3 inches. And the type of flowerhorns I was told don't get over 7 (maybe I'm wrong on this 1).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back